In-Deck Heating.... How About Using Artificial Turf to Heat?

JManteca

Gold Supporter
Mar 4, 2014
California Central Valley
I have tried to look through this forum and other places online to see if anyone has tried to use their artificial grass (or synthetic turf) to heat their pool. Its the same concept of in-deck heating, but used on grass. There are some obvious hurdles to overcome like avoiding stakes and nails, but was wondering if anyone had tried it. We are short on space for solar heating and not enough decking. I plan to put in about 1,200sf of artificial grass (which most people say gets really hot). Would love to be able to heat my pool at the same time as cooling my grass. There is a product that is used to keep turf from freezing by inserting piping in the turf, but I want to use it in reverse. Thoughts?

Artificial turf heating - AST Eis- und Solartechnik GmbH

Synthetic Turf Heating.jpg

Love that idea! I toyed with the idea of running tubing through the concrete in our deck, but concrete guy was worried about cracks.

I wonder how how close to the surface it is and how effective it would be at absorbing the heat. Time to ask for some samples!

Love that idea! I toyed with the idea of running tubing through the concrete in our deck, but concrete guy was worried about cracks.

I wonder how how close to the surface it is and how effective it would be at absorbing the heat. Time to ask for some samples!

I just got samples. Hmmm... not exactly sure how to test it. I have about 6 samples. I guess I better leave them out in the sun and see how warm they get. Then maybe build a test section and check temperatures at various depths...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.