Question about installing pool pump motor back together with new seal plate

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
I will be reinstalling my pool pump and motor with a new seal plate this weekend and I had a few questions before I get started, I've attached pictures to see what it looked like before I took it apart:

1) When putting it back together, I'm assuming I will first need to attach the new seal plate, impeller, and diffuser to the motor mount plate FIRST, then attach that whole setup to the pump right?

2) The seal plate gasket...do I need to lubricate the whole thing or put it in the seal plate groove and then lubricate just the side of the gasket that faces the pump?

3) Diffuser o-ring...same question as above, do I lubricate the entire o-ring or do I just put it on the diffuser and then lubricate the outer portion?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-21-10-03-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-04-21-10-03-45.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_2017-04-21-10-04-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-04-21-10-04-00.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 19
I'd grease up everything. O-rings deform and slide around to create the seal. Lubricating them helps them move easily. If you do it when it's cool, the lube also acts as a glue to hold the O-ring in place on the plate while you're wrestling it into position.

The shaft seal I'm not sure about. I'd certainly grease up the inside but I'm not sure about the outside.

I'd grease up everything. O-rings deform and slide around to create the seal. Lubricating them helps them move easily. If you do it when it's cool, the lube also acts as a glue to hold the O-ring in place on the plate while you're wrestling it into position.

The shaft seal I'm not sure about. I'd certainly grease up the inside but I'm not sure about the outside.
I wasn't planning on lubricating the shaft seal (was told not to). I was only panning on lubricating the seal plate gasket and o-ring diffuser.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.