Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool - Decking Options in Georgia

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool - Decking Options in Georgia

First time pool guy looking for advice on decking in Georgia. We love the modern look and were considering concrete decking to give it a California feel. But, we are concerned about cracking... any advice on decking would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool - Decking Options in Georgia

Cement *cracks*.... not if, but where. But it also has a lot of things going for it too.

Tell us a little about your pool, and house style? Pics even better.

We're pretty good at spending your money

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

A-modern-pool-terrace.jpgimage002.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Back To Top    #4

I am in South Carolina and we used kool deck, not the spray on. I have a fairly modern pool. So far we love it.
    16x32 modified L, 512 sq ft, 15,000 gal gunite pool. 20ft 24" raised bond beam tiled with NPT lightwaves aquamarine. 3 color LED 24" Sheers by cmp called wonderfalls. 500 sq ft of Kool deck. Pentair equipment, Intelliflo VS 3HP, 420 CCP cartridge filter, Easy touch 4 w/IC40 SWG and wireless remote. 1 globrite and 1 intellibrite 5g pool light. Plaster will be Stonescapes mini pebble in aqua white. TF100 test kit and future dolphin robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm in Atlanta and we just changed our mind from cement to pavers. Still trying to sort out the ones, but there are some we like by Belgard. Given our sloped yard and the resulting settling, I figure we'd end up with a crack eventually. I know it would drive me crazy!
    14,600 gal IG fiberglass, Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair VS pump, Belgard pavers - coming soon!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I love pavers for that very reason. Cracked patios always drove me a little mad. I just don't look at my 28 year-old concrete driveway.

I love the back of your house, and your pool design will be perfect - great lines! I love (and have) Travertine pavers - to me they can go modern or give an old world/cottage/natural feel depending on the lines of the pool and landscaping. A silver travertine would be stunning with your house color. When I was shopping about 2 years ago, Belgard had some lovely grays or near concrete color in more modern patterns. Some even looked much like travertine. Both travertine and concrete pavers are usually installed the same way. You can find lots of pictures here on TFP, Pinterest, Houzz, etc to get some inspiration. I've seen some beautiful gray/silver decks recently on TFP. If you're interested and need help finding them, let me know.

Welcome to TFP!
    Suz
    Suz~Cypress/Houston area~ My 2015 Pool Build. 24K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy; color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. TF-100, SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Here's a nice picture of gray pavers on a rectangular pool. TechoBlock Pavers

Post #198 shows some closeups of the pavers
    New in-ground pool - Boston, MA. Lots of pics - Page 10

A pool with the silver travertine coping and spray deck decking:
    New Pool Build Pearland, TX (Houston area) - Page 14

Silver travertine coping and decking:
    New AZ owner build! - Page 4
    Suz~Cypress/Houston area~ My 2015 Pool Build. 24K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy; color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. TF-100, SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi newpoolguy70 We also live in Alpharetta and are in the beginning stages of gathering quotes for a pool. Do you mind me asking who you ended up using? So far we have one quote from Peach State and have phone calls into Swimtime and Aquadesign.

Thanks!

9. Back To Top    #9

I agree a silver/gray travertine would look beautiful with your house color. Are you thinking you will overlay your existing covered patio? We went with Belgard pavers because we were worried about cracks in concrete. Would have like to do travertine but I was a little concerned about how slick they would be wet and it was a pretty expensive upgrade over Belgard pavers.
    2017 build 32x14 IG 400 SQFT 13k Gallons, Smooth Pebble Finish, OK Flagstone Raised Wall and Coping , Belgard Urbana Paver Decking, 24 Sheer Descent, 50 SQFT Tanning Ledge With Bubbler, Pentair Racer Cleaner, Pentair 520 SF Cartridge Filter, Pentair 3HP SVRS Variable Speed Pump, 2 Pentair Globrite LED Lights, Paramount UV with Ozone, Pentair In Line Chlorination System, Pentair EZ Touch With Screen Logic Matt

10. Back To Top    #10

Do your Belgard pavers get too hot to stand or walk on during hot summer months? If not, what style do you have?