SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
FC 4.2
CC .6
PH 7.6
TA 100
CH 320
CYA well over 100
I have been fighting mustard algae for over a year my fault been taking advice from pool store and using 3" pucks. I know im gonna have to drain a good part of my pool off to replace cause of the CYA. My pool is clear for the most part with visible algae that I just brush down. I guess my question is what is the first step after getting the pool refilled I was planning on draining off half my water.

You could dilute your pool water 1:1 with tap water and retest for CYA to see if your CYA is even over 200...

Either way, I'd probably drain more than half. More like 2/3 then refill.

After fill, recheck your CYA to see where you're at. You may need to do a second drain/fill. No sense doing anything else until your CYA is in a workable range. If it is acceptable, then tackle the pH first, then get some FC in there. Testing your fill water for TA and CH would give you a good idea of where those levels will go on refill.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Welcome to TFP!

Pat has you right of course and your best plan is to get that Cya way down before you SLAM. Once you get that done, you are going to enjoy the pool like never before, I promise you.

I plan on doing the cya test again today before I drain with the dilution test x2 thanks for the quick reply . I just hate having to drain so much water haha

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mine was over 200 as well when I took over from my pool guy. Decided to do a full drain and while I was at it, i acid washed it as well for good measure. Although plaster is old and a bit splotchy in certain areas, the acid wash worked wonders and it now looks really nice after the refill. I also had really high CH levels (1000+). So, I killed three birds with one stone.
:kim:

So I tried to drain my pool today and figured out my valves for skimmers and main drain aren't installed properly. I should be able to bypass my skimmers and only suck water thru my main drain right ? I just assumed I could do that, not sure, either way once I get the water down to the skimmer line I lose prime. Does this seem right? I can't even verify that my main drain is even sucking unless I hop in the pool tomorrow to check it out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I drained my pool about 3/4 spent the rest of the filling up only to finally fill it up checked my cya and I'm still about 70-80. My question is how soon should I try to drain some more water and when can i put some chlorine in , my pH is 7.4 TA 100 CH 420 I didn't know my water was hard. Testing again tomorrow in the morning. Should I even bother running the pump all night ?

ok so I started my first slam and figured out I had made 2 mistakes in the pool math calculator
1. being I entered 50 cya when I actually have 60
2. I wasn't aware there was a higher slam level for mustard algae so when I have been slamming at 20 all this time I should've been at 34. im guessing this is a big deal ?
3. so I performed my OCLT this morning and only lost 2ppm and im still not seeing any CC
4. CC test when you put the 5 drops in how significant should the color change be ? cause there might be a small hue change, after adding the other drops it never changes to where I feel I just wasted all that reagent
5. whats my next step should I run my FC level up to 34 ? im at work today so im gonna have to explain all this to my wife so she can do it :mad: plus she will have to learn how to do the test for the first time :eek:
as usual any help will be much appreciated

ok so I started my first slam and figured out I had made 2 mistakes in the pool math calculator
1. being I entered 50 cya when I actually have 60
2. I wasn't aware there was a higher slam level for mustard algae so when I have been slamming at 20 all this time I should've been at 34. im guessing this is a big deal ?
3. so I performed my OCLT this morning and only lost 2ppm and im still not seeing any CC
4. CC test when you put the 5 drops in how significant should the color change be ? cause there might be a small hue change, after adding the other drops it never changes to where I feel I just wasted all that reagent
5. whats my next step should I run my FC level up to 34 ? im at work today so im gonna have to explain all this to my wife so she can do it :mad: plus she will have to learn how to do the test for the first time :eek:
as usual any help will be much appreciated

2. You should only do a mustard level shock for 24 hours AFTER normal slam is complete and you are sure that is what you have.

4. CC test might change color and might not. If it doesn't that is 0 CC and if it does, just depends on how many drops to make clear.

5. Keep SLAM at regular level for your CYA (I think 24?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. IF you have mustard algae, you SLAM at the "normal" SLAM level for your CYA, then after you pass the OCLT you hold FC at the mustard algae level for 24 hours. You don't keep FC at that level the entire SLAM. Article: Pool School - Mustard Algae

3. There is no "normal" or linear expectations to how much CC you will see or what the differences in OCLT from day to day. If you still have visible algae you can skip the OCLT test, unless you are just curios.

4. If it's a tiny change, just call it 0.5 and don't worry about it too much.

See 2. I wouldn't try to give your wife too much to bite off, maybe just the FC test and how to use Pool Math to get back to SLAM levels. Drinking from the firehose and all that :)

FWIW, only like 1 out of 100 people actually have mustard algae.

Thanks guys for the help I guess ill raise my FC level up just a bit to get to the correct slam level which wasn't that far off, im guessing I almost passed the OCLT with just losing 2ppm in 8 hours overnight. My pool gets full sun all day with algae growing in the shaded areas on the walls and flat areas so I just figured it was the dreaded mustard algae :confused: no algae present now
So how long should I keep my pool at slam level cause my Labrador is dying to get back in his pool haha

Update after 48hrs of SLAMing so I tested my FC this morning and lost maybe .5 to 1 ppm FC with no CC found. Water looked as clear as I can ever remember and my wife brushed down the sides this morning after I had left to work and didn't find any live or dead algae. So im guessing I had a successful first SLAM :cool: Now I should just let my FC back down to 8 and my Lab can start using his pool again. At what FC level is it safe for my lab to get back in ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.