Is my testing method OK?

May 24, 2016
Cincinnati, Oh
So this might be a silly question, but it will help settle my anxiety/OCD. The way I test my water is by filling a plastic cup, which is and always has been used solely for testing water and never used to drink from or washed or anything like that, from about a foot below the surface of the water, then bringing the cup inside to do my testing. Is the water sitting in the cup, then going into the testing tube going to affect my numbers at all as opposed to just directly filling the tube from he pool?

Like I said, probably a silly question. Just wondering if anyone else does something like this or if the experts here think this is fine.

Eh, likely not. But, the cup may have some residual chemicals on it from the previous time you tested. Make sure you rinse it in between testing. Personally, I test by scooping water into whatever vessel I'm using to perform that test with, whether it be a cylinder or comparator.

This is perfectly fine. Run your pH and FC right away, and you'll be good. That goes for no matter what you get the sample in. Its always just good practice. In a lab setting you would also always rinse your sample cup, and vial three times with the test sample first, and between different sample tests using the same vials. It takes only a little bit of sample to thoroughly rinse each time. If you want to do it right, that's the way. Rinsing your glassware with distilled water after you're all through is also good practice.

You might also consider getting a squirt bottle to take your sample from the pool in. It's very handy, and makes filling the vials very easy. Again, triple rinse the bottle with sample you grab each and every time.

That squirt bottle Patrick is talking about is the cat's pajamas.

Scoop up a sample about a foot deep or so like you said, then take it inside and perform your tests.

We are not doing Universe altering research here so don't overthink it.....we're just pool nerds (good ones, though)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.