Need to replace Raypak propane heater

Apr 21, 2017
Port Matilda, PA
Our propane heater died and our Pool company said it cant be repaired. It is very old. I was looking online and got a quote for a new propane heater. Our pool company quoted $1400 more than the price I can buy the heater online including install but I would still need someone else to hookup the propane and electric. My question is that if I buy a new Raypak could I easily get the propane company, a plumber and electrician to install it for less? Have no idea how difficult they are to replace but keeping it in the same location and getting the same brand my thinking was that it shouldnt be very difficult. $1400 seems like alot to pay for the markup on the heater and a partial install. Any advice is appreciated. We are not DIYers
Thanks!

If the replacement heater has the water inlet/outlet and gas inlet in the same place as the old, it lessens the amount of work/time needed to install.

I assume the old heater had no electrical connection (i.e. current heater is a millivolt style with "always lit pilot light") but the new models have an electronic ignition and control panel.
So going to an electronic type means you would then need to run a 120V power to the heater. Or do you already have 120V running to the old heater?

And keep in mind that these heaters are not light. Getting it into position can be a multi-person job (does it need to be lifted over existing equipment/plumbing?). Can you unload a heater form tractor trailer (delivery) and get it set on the pool pad by yourself?

So depending on how much work is needed (replumbing, new electrical, gas connection, disposal of old equip., and setup) the $1400 for a "full install" would not be out of line. If the new unit is almost identical to the old,and if someone else is doing the electrical/gas connection, then I think the price should be a lot lower (maybe half).

I just had my heater replaced with a Raypak.

The heater was $ 1,500 and went right in with nothing more than
a re-arrangement of some wiring and a timer added. Also installed
a new chimney assembly to bring it up to current code.
The total was $ 2,900.

That price seemed very reasonable considering all
the work he did.

I would get another bid or 2 if you can and hire whomever
can do it all for you. It seems a bit silly to me to have to
hire out other contractors for a heater replacement.

I put in a new Raypak last year. I paid $1400 for the heater which included the plumbing install and take away of my old heater. Gas and electric must be performed by licensed technicians. I don't remember what I paid for those. It was something like $100 for the electric and $200 for the propane. I also had to have an HVAC person install a new vent pipe since my heater is inside a pool house. That was more expensive ($350) because they had to tie into my previous chimney which was 20 years old and difficult to find parts that would fit it. Your price quote seems reasonable to me.

Our propane heater died and our Pool company said it cant be repaired. It is very old. I was looking online and got a quote for a new propane heater. Our pool company quoted $1400 more than the price I can buy the heater online including install but I would still need someone else to hookup the propane and electric. My question is that if I buy a new Raypak could I easily get the propane company, a plumber and electrician to install it for less? Have no idea how difficult they are to replace but keeping it in the same location and getting the same brand my thinking was that it shouldnt be very difficult. $1400 seems like alot to pay for the markup on the heater and a partial install. Any advice is appreciated. We are not DIYers
Thanks!

If the price quoted included the gas and the electric I would say they are probably in line. But seeing it doesn't include those two portions and you have to find the people to do the rest of the work, over priced.

The internet companies are killing small business as we know it. You may find yourself at some point in life not being able to find a tradesman to do work you need done because of this. Also keep in mind that you might lose out on things like a warranty if you buy online and or hook it up yourself. I can tell you that Raypak does frown on these internet companies that sell their products. Raypak believes in the small business and wants to see them thrive. They can add so much more to the sales experience than some internet company.

Everybody thinks it shouldn't be that difficult to hook something up but you do not realize what a small business has to deal with such as insurance and licensing. If an unlicensed person hooks up something and that something burns your house down, your insurance company will not cover your claim. I can't be for sure that any such thing has happened but I can assure you that if and when it does, a homeowner will wished they had used a licensed contractor. Also consider this, if the unit comes in damaged, yes sometimes they do, how long will it take to get a replacement and how long might you have to fight to get it replaced? I know that when I sell a unit, I get to inspect it and request another one if something isn't right. And if the unit is faulty when it is hooked up, well I can get a new one in less than an hour. All things to consider.

I don't mean to shy you away or talk bad about internet based companies but you should consider all risks when dealing with them.

I would stay with the Raypak brand as they have far less issues and parts than your other brands.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.