Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool/spa Quartzite Coping

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool/spa Quartzite Coping

Hello, I have quartzite being installed around the coping and on the top of the 18" raised spa. Is having a lip/overhang common on those areas, and if so, what is the common size, i.e. 2", 1", etc. for the coping and the spa?

They're trying to say that a 2" overhang is common and I think that is very excessive. I'm thinking of having no lip and keeping it flush or .5 to .75 at the most.

Please advise and provide example pics if possible. Thank you in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool/spa Quartzite Coping

I would not want any overhang in the spa for sure. It would make it hard and uncomfortable to lean back and relax. The same thing in the pool if you have benches in the pool.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I just ran out and measured my coping - never thought a thing about THAT! Lol!!!! I have bullnosed travertine coping around the pool and spa. It all hangs over but different depending on the place. The pool area overhang is about 1 3/8". The spa coping overhang is about 1 3/8" to 1 1/2", and the coping on the raised sheer descent part of the spa hangs over between 1 3/4" to 2". The coping over the top step into the pool is between 1" to 1 1/4". Ha! To look at the entire pool and spa, it all looks the same (now it may not! Lol!!) I did not measure the entire pool perimeter. Wow! It seems like I've measured everything else about my pool.

I've never found it uncomfortable to lean back against it. A lip is nice for grabbing in the spa and the main pool. Now..... was my tile guy very lazy, or are the variances due to fitting stone, or what? On the other hand, it hasn't made a difference to me. Personally, I would want a lip. I'm curious what others say.
    Suz~Cypress/Houston area~ My 2015 Pool Build. 24K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy; color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. TF-100, SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

I would listen to Suz! She had lived with and loved her pool for a while. I have a above ground pool so really don't know. I was guessing lol

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

It was a good guess, Kim. If the coping were squared off or rough-edged, that wouldn't be comfortable. Some people have used a rolled edge on their spa rims. Those look terrific and must be really comfortable!

Here is a link to a spa with the rolled edge.
    DFW Texas Pool Spa Build (Round 2) - Page 12

Another:
    New Build Frisco TX 1st Pool - Intro Plan Pics - Page 7
    Suz~Cypress/Houston area~ My 2015 Pool Build. 24K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy; color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. TF-100, SpeedStir