Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Need advice on pump motor

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    89

    Need advice on pump motor

    I have an AO Smith Centurion B855 2HP motor driving my Pentair pump. A couple of days ago, the pump stopped working. When I switch it on, there is a straining sound for 5-10 seconds after which it trips out. I am able to turn the shaft. I tried replacing the 30 mfd run capacitor to no avail, and cannot remove the back cover to check if there is a start capacitor, and whether it is faulty. Anything else I should be checking?

    Also, if this calls for a new motor, what is the best way to get an affordable motor, and what should I budget? Thanks!


    25,000 gal, in-ground, plastered gunite, Pentair NSF 60 DE Filter

  2. Back To Top    #2

    TFP Guide

    In the Industry

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    tucson, arizona
    Posts
    1,314

    Re: Need advice on pump motor

    Check for proper voltage at motor, if correct pull motor assembly from pump housing and remove diffuser cover, then try motor.Pentair / Purex Whisperflo Parts - INYOPools.com

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    89

    Re: Need advice on pump motor

    Quote Originally Posted by kadavis View Post
    Check for proper voltage at motor, if correct pull motor assembly from pump housing and remove diffuser cover, then try motor.Pentair / Purex Whisperflo Parts - INYOPools.com
    Thanks for that advice, will give it a whirl tomorrow.


    25,000 gal, in-ground, plastered gunite, Pentair NSF 60 DE Filter

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    89

    Re: Need advice on pump motor

    Quote Originally Posted by kadavis View Post
    Check for proper voltage at motor, if correct pull motor assembly from pump housing and remove diffuser cover, then try motor.Pentair / Purex Whisperflo Parts - INYOPools.com
    OK, so I didn't get around to checking the voltage yet (don't have a multimeter), but did open up the pump and can confirm that the shaft is turning (based on the impeller) before it trips off after 5-10 seconds. After a while, there is a clicking sound, after which the motor can be started up again for another 5-10 seconds. After the second cycle, the motor body feels warm to the touch.

    It seems like the motor may be shutting off due to premature overheating?

    Is there anything else I can do to salvage the situation?


    25,000 gal, in-ground, plastered gunite, Pentair NSF 60 DE Filter

  5. Back To Top    #5
    ckk81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Kalamazoo MI
    Posts
    235

    Re: Need advice on pump motor

    Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    OK, so I didn't get around to checking the voltage yet (don't have a multimeter), but did open up the pump and can confirm that the shaft is turning (based on the impeller) before it trips off after 5-10 seconds. After a while, there is a clicking sound, after which the motor can be started up again for another 5-10 seconds. After the second cycle, the motor body feels warm to the touch.

    It seems like the motor may be shutting off due to premature overheating?

    Is there anything else I can do to salvage the situation?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any idea how old the motor is?
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    89

    Re: Need advice on pump motor

    Quote Originally Posted by ckk81 View Post
    Any idea how old the motor is?
    The capacitor has a date of Jan 2010, so I'm thinking at least 7 years old.



    25,000 gal, in-ground, plastered gunite, Pentair NSF 60 DE Filter

  7. Back To Top    #7
    ckk81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Kalamazoo MI
    Posts
    235

    Re: Need advice on pump motor

    Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    The capacitor has a date of Jan 2010, so I'm thinking at least 7 years old.
    I bet it's getting the correct voltage, but you really should make sure that it is correct with a multimeter -you can get one pretty cheap.

    That said I'd probably just replace the motor, looks like about $210 from Inyo or the like.
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    89

    Re: Need advice on pump motor

    Quote Originally Posted by ckk81 View Post
    I bet it's getting the correct voltage, but you really should make sure that it is correct with a multimeter -you can get one pretty cheap.

    That said I'd probably just replace the motor, looks like about $210 from Inyo or the like.
    Great, thank you for the advice! Might as well check if it's a voltage issue, I'd hate to find that out after installing a new motor. What's the recourse if it's not getting the correct voltage?


    25,000 gal, in-ground, plastered gunite, Pentair NSF 60 DE Filter

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Martinez, CA
    Posts
    241

    Re: Need advice on pump motor

    Probably a short in the windings causing it to heat up and trip. Likely time for a new motor.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    89

    Re: Need advice on pump motor

    Quote Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
    Probably a short in the windings causing it to heat up and trip. Likely time for a new motor.
    Thank you, that seems to be the consensus.

    So I went to Leslie's and they tried to sell me a variable speed Jacuzzi-brand pump for $1500. Is there a cheaper alternative for upgrading from the single speed B855 to save on electricity costs?


    25,000 gal, in-ground, plastered gunite, Pentair NSF 60 DE Filter

  11. Back To Top    #11

    TFP Guide

    In the Industry

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    tucson, arizona
    Posts
    1,314

    Re: Need advice on pump motor

    Pool & Spa Motors - U.S. MOTORS
    ,this is one way just buying a variable speed motor only. But depending on the age of the pump you have it might be better to buy a new pump with VS motor. you can check your Power company for any rebates in the area.

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Californoa
    Posts
    25

    Re: Need advice on pump motor

    You can get smaller variable speeds for half the price. Like their Jacuzzi 1.5hp. Or the superflo 1.5hp. Around 850 bucks from leslies


  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    89

    Re: Need advice on pump motor

    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabepoolguy View Post
    You can get smaller variable speeds for half the price. Like their Jacuzzi 1.5hp. Or the superflo 1.5hp. Around 850 bucks from leslies

    Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    That is good to know. I do have a spa. Will 1.5 HP be enough for that?


    25,000 gal, in-ground, plastered gunite, Pentair NSF 60 DE Filter

  14. Back To Top    #14

    TFP Guide

    In the Industry

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    tucson, arizona
    Posts
    1,314

    Re: Need advice on pump motor

    Depending on how many jets your running the Superflo 1.5 probably wouldn't do the job, I'm not familiar with the Jacuzzi model. If your pump is a Whisperflo model you would definitely be better off with the Intelliflo VS

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    89

    Need advice on pump motor

    Quote Originally Posted by kadavis View Post
    Depending on how many jets your running the Superflo 1.5 probably wouldn't do the job, I'm not familiar with the Jacuzzi model. If your pump is a Whisperflo model you would definitely be better off with the Intelliflo VS
    Looks like I have a Pentair Challenger 2HP pump. Any idea which motor would suit that? Would it make sense to swap out the pump as well with a new pump + motor bundle? I was hoping to keep my expense under $300 by replacing the motor myself. Am guessing I will need to factor in install costs if I go the pump + motor route.


    25,000 gal, in-ground, plastered gunite, Pentair NSF 60 DE Filter

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    89

    Re: Need advice on pump motor

    Quote Originally Posted by ckk81 View Post
    I bet it's getting the correct voltage, but you really should make sure that it is correct with a multimeter -you can get one pretty cheap.

    That said I'd probably just replace the motor, looks like about $210 from Inyo or the like.
    You were right, line voltage was 245, and pump when running is at 230. So no issues with the voltage.



    25,000 gal, in-ground, plastered gunite, Pentair NSF 60 DE Filter

  17. Back To Top    #17

    TFP Guide

    In the Industry

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    tucson, arizona
    Posts
    1,314

    Re: Need advice on pump motor

    Pentair Challenger Full Rate Motor - INYOPools.com
    if you just want to replace motor and keep around 300.00. They also have two speed motors w/timers. Your motor the B855 is a uprated motor and is the same total hp as a 1.5 full rated motor

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    89

    Re: Need advice on pump motor

    Quote Originally Posted by kadavis View Post
    Pentair Challenger Full Rate Motor - INYOPools.com
    if you just want to replace motor and keep around 300.00. They also have two speed motors w/timers. Your motor the B855 is a uprated motor and is the same total hp as a 1.5 full rated motor
    That is extremely helpful, thanks a ton! Could I continue to use the existing Challenger pump and impeller that are rated for 2HP with a full-rated 1.5 HP motor? I'm almost thinking if I can switch to a 1.5 HP full-rated, I could consider even a pump+motor set, either dual-speed or variable speed, and the savings from 2/2.5HP models appears substantial.


    25,000 gal, in-ground, plastered gunite, Pentair NSF 60 DE Filter

  19. Back To Top    #19

    TFP Guide

    In the Industry

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    tucson, arizona
    Posts
    1,314

    Re: Need advice on pump motor

    Yes you can use that impeller, should have a number on it. Check to make sure it is compatible

  20. Back To Top    #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    89

    Re: Need advice on pump motor

    I have a neighbor that has a used Magnetek B985 2HP dual speed that he's willing to let go for under $100. It's attached to a pump with a similar bracket as mine but different line sizes (2" inlet and 1.5" outlet, compared to 2.5" inlet and 2" outlet on mine).

    I'm thinking I can salvage and use the B985. I realize I need to get a high-low switch at some point, but is it possible to use it until then? If so, is the default speed the high speed or low speed? Any guidance on this will be appreciated.

    Also, in this scenario, assuming I connect the B985 to my Challenger, would I need to replace the shaft seal? I know it is recommended for new motors, but was wondering if that applies in this situation.


    25,000 gal, in-ground, plastered gunite, Pentair NSF 60 DE Filter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •