Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising Ph

1. Back To Top    #1

Raising Ph

I added CYA Saturday and my ph dropped to 6.8. Should I wait to raise my ph? Also, the cya made my pool a little cloudy, but my pump isn't working properly either. Is this normal? TIA
    5K gal QS AG soft blue pool, 1500 gph pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    It is common for CYA to lower the PH. You should raise it back up soon. It isn't good for the pool equipment/liner for the PH to be below 7.0.

It is not common for CYA to make the pool cloudy.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

if i can't find the soda wash, can I use baking soda and borax together to lower ph and alk?

4. Back To Top    #4

I meant to raise ph and alk

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't worry about the alkalinity too much, yet. The two best ways I can think of to raise your PH is to:
    1. aerate: run waterfalls or some kind of water that drops into the water to create bubbles. This will aerate your pool, raise your PH over time (check every 12 hours), and not really change anything else.
    2. Add 20 mule team borax. This will definately raise your PH, add a little borax (good for preventing algae), and increase your TA by just a little bit.

If you post specific test values from a reliable test kit, like Taylor K 2006, you can get some additional help.
    Pool: 15,000 gallon 32'x18', 3'-6' deep in-ground gunite pool, Sta-Rite 3 125 GPM 2-filter cartrige, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, solar heater, Goldline SWG, Jandy controls, opaque automatic CoverStar solar pool cover, 3 waterfalls (not from spa).
    Spa: 485 gallon in-ground square acrylic over fiberglass suspended over gunite Sunset brand spa, isolated system, natural gas heater, 2-speed (4hp/11hp) main pump, 3hp booster pump, chlorine sanitized.

To my pool store owner, nothing is more important than my pool and my money.

Richard's PoolEquations Spreadsheet

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the ones from the pool store...

Saturation Index -0.96
    pH 6.9
    cya 16
    Adjusted total alk 83
    Calcium Hardness 65

Everything else was ok..

What is the saturation index? In the analysis section mine said corrosive...

7. Back To Top    #7
    The saturation index tells you how the water will react with plaster surfaces (plaster is also present with pebble, tile, stone, etc). If you have a plaster surface you have a problem. If you have a vinyl liner it doesn't mater if it is negative but can still be a problem if it is too high positive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

and...

my calcium hardess was 93, not 65