Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Granular Bleach??

1. Back To Top    #1

Granular Bleach??

I am curious if such a thing exists as a granular pure sodium hypochlorite as opposed to liquid. I am interested in buying more bulk quantities for simplicity and storage. Everything I see is in tablets that also contain CYA and other chemicals. Am I searching for sasquatch? Thanks everyone!

- - - Updated - - -

Secondly, has anyone had success with bulk liquid bleach? Is it worth the hassle?
    Walla Walla, WA. 20'x40' rectangle vinyl in-ground ~35,000 gal. Diving board. Dolphin Nautilus Robot. Century USQ1102 1HP w/ 1.25HP Service Factor. Sta-Rite SuperMax pump. Hayward Pro Series high rate sand filter. Jandy LRZ heater. Intermatic T104R timer running 9 hrs/day on 2 cycles. Taylor K2006 test kit w/ Taylor 9265 Speedstir. and a skimmer sock!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Granular Bleach??

Unfortunately, you're going to need your camera that only takes blurry photos and your flannel shirt - solid chlorine is only available bound to CYA, Calcium, or Lithium (the most expensive option of them all). Chemically, you apparently can't get solid chlorine without an unwanted binder.

Even liquid chlorine is bound to salt. The nice thing is that you can build up a ton more salt in your pool with no ill effects compared to calcium or CYA.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Unfortunately, you're going to need your camera that only takes blurry photos and your flannel shirt
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh, two Blues...not an easy one to earn from Dave, but it was a great line.

Bulk liquid Chlorine is spotty, and it all depends where you are, no rhyme or reason. Its all over Florida in pool Stores. They sell it by the loads in North Carolina some places. Some in Houston and Austin Pool stores. It's hard to find some places easy in others. Midwest farm stores sell high % small bulk. Try finding it in Pool Stores for small bulk (5 gallons) locally. If not, try to see if there are any industrial/institutional suppliers local who will sell it to you.

Aside from that, most of our members stack up a little fresh 8.25%-10% from wally world for ease, and only choice available. Sorry not to have better news.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm covered on the flannel shirt front. I also live in the PNW - the birthplace of sasquatch - bonus points?? Thanks for the feedback...
    Walla Walla, WA. 20'x40' rectangle vinyl in-ground ~35,000 gal. Diving board. Dolphin Nautilus Robot. Century USQ1102 1HP w/ 1.25HP Service Factor. Sta-Rite SuperMax pump. Hayward Pro Series high rate sand filter. Jandy LRZ heater. Intermatic T104R timer running 9 hrs/day on 2 cycles. Taylor K2006 test kit w/ Taylor 9265 Speedstir. and a skimmer sock!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by mckinley02 View Post
    I'm covered on the flannel shirt front. I also live in the PNW - the birthplace of sasquatch - bonus points?? Thanks for the feedback...
    Awesome bonus points!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - I made the same inquiries when I started on the forums here. "There has to be a better way..." has escaped my lips more than once.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D