Significantly different PH in deep end versus shallow end?

Jul 29, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My pH readings are significantly different if I take them in the deep end versus the shallow end. In the shallow end near a jet I am getting readings of deep purple around 8 and at the deep end at around 7. I couldn't find any posts on this in any searches. Should I just assume I am in balance at around 7.5 or do I error to the readings in the deep end? This seems like a problem.

Yes, pool has been running all day and always take the readings above the elbow deep. The deep end has worse circulation for sure as the spa waterfall really moves the water on the shallow end. I usually have the returns pointing upward to shoot across the water and push leaves toward the skimmer. Maybe I should point the returns more down towards the bottom?

you have a giant pool like that with no main drain in the deep end? pointing an eye down will help increase circulation down there. there is also a product called the circulator if the pros here think you have major issues with that kind of difference. maybe it would help.

Could it be possible that the aeration from the waterfall elevates his Ph on that end? Granted the entire pool should have relatively the same Ph, but with the aeration only on one end it will take some time for the water to mix and equalize right?

poolpop said:
Could it be possible that the aeration from the waterfall elevates his Ph on that end? Granted the entire pool should have relatively the same Ph, but with the aeration only on one end it will take some time for the water to mix and equalize right?

wrong ends. it should be opposite if that was happening cause aeration raises ph and his ph is high in the deep end, whereas the waterfall is in the shallow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try turning off the waterfall, with the filter still running see what the pH does after an hour. Then turn the fall back on, check it again after a couple hours. If you see it even out after the fall is off, and change again after it goes back on, then the fall is really raising the pH in the shallow end and you need to improve the circulation in the pool.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.