Getting Pool Ready with Some Questions

Doc-V

Apr 15, 2017
Waldorf, Maryland
Greetings,
Well I received my test kits last night and tested my pool water.I am currently sitting on a ton of product that the pool store told me t needed like stuff for improving hardness level but my reults from my own testing do not indicate what they told me. here are my numbers.

FC 1.0
CC 1.0
PH 7.2
TA 110
CYA 60
CH 250

While my CYA is up, my pool has a SWC but it is not working. I am going to do that soon but need to use chlorine in the meantime. I have chlorine urinal mints from the pool store which I have discontinued. I am now using liquid bleach. The pool was originally hazy blue but is now crystal clear from using bleach. I have to admit that I did this blindly while I waited for test kit but it has seem to work. I believe if I have read correctly, I should now SLAM pool to bring it up to correct chlorine level. When is it actually usable? Daughter wants to have a pool party this Saturday so I am trying to determine how much chlorine to add with it still being usable for a day.

Hey there Doc-V :handwave:

Ok, so tell me is the pool crystal clear or not?

Your CYA is ok if you're going to get that SWG repaired or as long as your pool is algae free. The minute it isn't algae free you have to realize that it will take more bleach to reach your SLAM level....and if you're okay and understand that, its fine where it is.

Your pool is vinyl- you *don't need* to worry about calcium hardness. Can you return any of that to the shop, perhaps exchange it for liquid chlorine?

Your TA is fine, your pH is fine, the only thing you need in there (assuming the water is clear) is some bleach. Bring your FC up to the level that corresponds with 60ppm CYA on the NON-SWG portion of the chart for now --> [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Have you discovered PoolMath app yet? Up at the top of the page. Any time you need to know how much to add, fill out the volume of your pool in gallons, then go to the bottom and choose "TroubleFreePools.com" "Vinyl" and "Bleach" for those parameters. Then you input your current test results in the far left column and the program will guide you with suggested range right there. Put your desired goal level in the right sided column where it says "Target" and the program will guide you to quantities to add/subtract.

Sounds like you're going to have a pool party on Saturday! Fun!!

Yippee :flower:

addendum: I read some woman started using the "soap" her son brought home from the gym... it turned out to be a urinal deodorizer!! GAG!!!

Thank you for your response. I have spent quite a bit of time playing with the pool calculator and the FC/CYA chart. I believe I should be shooting for a FC of 8ppm. I also do plan on replacing my SWG. I am currently shopping around for the best deal on a new Autopilot. I do commend everyone on this site because it has provided some great information.I also heard the story about the used urinal cake. I believe she thought it was bath salts and a gift from her child. LOL, not only having a pool party, also having ponies, a petting zoo, a moon bounce, and 40 6,7, and 8 year olds. Sounds like a blast! Cant wait to test the water after that.

So last night I added more chlorine and tested this morning. I am currently at
FC 9.0 ppm
CC 0.5 ppm
PH 7.2
TA 110
since I have reached my level, I will continue to test throughout the day to see if it stays there and then add CL for maintenance. So far, it is looking good. Going to spend today taking apart and cleaning DE filter. Thank you once again for advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.