Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new Pentair Superflo Pump humming but not turning...

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new Pentair Superflo Pump humming but not turning...

I just installed a new Pentair 2 HP Superflo dual speed pump. When I turn on the power, the pump hums but will not turn over and hums for about 10 seconds before the thermal overload trips. With the pump off, I can freely turn the motor from the back, but with power applied I can not turn it in either direction. I have filled the strainer basket with water.. I have tried tapping the motor housing with power applied, and I have verified there are 2 leads both with 115 VAC applied. I can't find any info on whether this pump has a start capacitor, but I believe the run capacitor is located on top.
    Please help with troubleshooting. Kind of frustrating since this is a brand new pump.

Thank You.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new Pentair Superflo Pump humming but not turning...

All single phase motor's have to have a start capacitor, and that is often the culprit for situations like this, but if the pump is new (you said you just installed it so I'm assuming here) that would be odd. Have you tried spinning the motor and then immediately turning it on (it should go without saying to be very careful messing with a motor that is powered)? If that worked I would say it is definitely the capacitor. Hopefully someone with a little more pool pump knowledge will come along as the capacitor is the only thing I know much about.
    22X40 31000 gallon IG. AquaBright plaster, Jandy 2hp epump, 60sqf de filter, Aquapure 1400 SWG, Polaris 965, jxi400 propane heater, iaqualink control, 2 Watercolor LED lights, Taylor K2006, My Build Thread

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Here is an article on testing a capacitor. https://www.hunker.com/12001604/how-...h-a-multimeter

Also 115v on both leads to ground doesn't mean it's "different" 115v if the motor is wired up. You might need a new breaker.

This is all assuming you are competent enough with electricity to be safe. Otherwise an electrician can save you time, money and risk of injury.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by benm2010 View Post
    All single phase motor's have to have a start capacitor
    PSC motors only have a run capacitor but it serves as a start capacitor as well. But I believe the SuperFlo has a PSC motor so it would only have a run capacitor and that could be bad although rare when new.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    PSC motors only have a run capacitor but it serves as a start capacitor as well. But I believe the SuperFlo has a PSC motor so it would only have a run capacitor and that could be bad although rare when new.
    Perhaps I should have said "all single phase motor's need a capacitor to start," as many motors run and start capacitor are the same, although there are a lot of motors with a start and run capacitor. Any time I've ever had a motor doing what was described it always ended up being the capacitor (not pool pump, think A/C, Microwave Fan, etc...). Here in Texas we blow lots of caps in the summer on our A/C units as they are rated at barely enough for the high temps here. Also, it can't be overstated when dealing with a capacitor (especially large ones) how important it is to discharge them FIRST as they have a nasty bite. If the pump is new Pentair customer service should take care of this.
    22X40 31000 gallon IG. AquaBright plaster, Jandy 2hp epump, 60sqf de filter, Aquapure 1400 SWG, Polaris 965, jxi400 propane heater, iaqualink control, 2 Watercolor LED lights, Taylor K2006, My Build Thread

6. Back To Top    #6

Some single phase motors do not have a capacitor. They are called resistive start as that is what provides the phase shift.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Some single phase motors do not have a capacitor. They are called resistive start as that is what provides the phase shift.
    Interesting, either these were never mentioned in my motors class or I forgot about them (it's been almost 10 years so me forgetting is certainly possible). I stand corrected.

8. Back To Top    #8

The first question I would ask is if the motor is wired correctly to the right voltage. If the pump is wired up to 110v and it needs 220v to run it will act like what was described as well.

Mas has reminded me of many things I have forgotten from my motors classes....
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

9. Back To Top    #9

Please show us a pic of your input wires and where they are attached to the pump..

And a pic of the placard on the side of the pump..

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

10. Back To Top    #10

Its a brand new pump that you wired? Or was it wired by someone else?

Please post a picture of the wiring connection as you wired it and the faceplate of the pump. I am concerned its not wired correctly.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

11. Back To Top    #11

So, I finally got around to looking at it again. I replaced the capacitor that is on top. Unfortunately did not solve the issue. I have verified each line going to the pump is 115 VAC by measuring the lines without them connected to the pump. The pump still moves freely by hand when not energized, but is very hard to move when energized and humming. Running out of things to check... I have attached the wiring diagram and wiring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Back To Top    #12

No ideas?

13. Back To Top    #13

Can you show the switch?

Are you trying to run high speed or low speed?

Are you getting 240 line to line?

You can try connecting the switched leg to high or low.

Also, the wiring really needs be be cleaner and more secure.

Why is one of the motor through bolts out?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

14. Back To Top    #14

I have attached a copy of the switch. I also cleaned up the top line connection by crimping it to a connector to attach. I have ran in both high and low speed and no luck. The motor through bolts was removed for me to check the impeller, but I have replaced them all now.
    I am getting 240 line to line.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Back To Top    #15

Nothing obvious.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

16. Back To Top    #16

Try wiring one hot line to terminal 1 and one to terminal 2 to see if the pump will run in high speed. Remove the yellow wire from terminal 2.

If you're putting 240 directly to terminals 1 and 2 and the pump won't run, you probably have a bad pump and should file a warranty claim.

Also, you should not have removed the through bolts. Did you pull off the end part?
    Support the site

17. Back To Top    #17

Can anyone refer me to a post of this happening with an existing (previously working last season) system? Same pump. We opened the pool yesterday and when I went to backwash this morning the pump only hummed after turning it to backwash and switching it back on. Thank you!!!