Testing pool water

Aug 1, 2016
Newberry, FL
Hi, Im just into my second year as a pool owner and would not have survived my first year (4months really) if not for this forum and all the amazing knowledge and kind support. I have been using ACE hardware to test my pool water( I bring them a sample in clean glass jar from ~16" down they put a vial of it in their little tester machine) on a regular basis ( I take the results home and enter them in Pool Math ;) and so far all is good. I would like some pros and cons of this method from you of much experience. I have considered getting the TF-100 testing kit but am reluctant to drop the $70-$100 if its not necessary. Im a huge believer in spending a little to save a lot and of being pro active so if I am erring here I will buck up and order that test kit? Thanks ? This is what is tested....
attachment.php

Well... how's your pool look? Since based on this report you have no chlorine in the pool to speak of, and no CYA either.... if the pool looks clear it won't for long.

I can't say that their testing stinks but we've seen time and time again that pool store testing is often way off. It often has to do with poor calibration of the equipment, or poorly trained summer help that doesn't realize that adding reagents drop by drop gives accurate readings yet they squirt it in and just pick a number. Or they use equipment that only tests FC up to 5 and they tell you 5, but its really 10. We like accuracy.

I would suggest if you want to "test" how well they test, bring a water sample to 3 different pool stores and compare the results.

Yip :flower:

Well just yesterday someone posted their pool store test results that included some numbers that are pretty much impossible. It was a good illustration why we insist people do their own testing. Relying on pool store testing is kind of like stopping by a car dealer every day for the free coffee. They are only putting it out to try selling you something, and it isn't even very good coffee.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

The chlorine results don't add up......

TC is the sum of FC + CC (FC+CC=TC). A FC 0.0ppm, + CC 0.9ppm = TC 0.9ppm, not 1.0ppm as listed.

Your CYA is very low, how do you normally chlorinate the pool?

Ok, thank you guys, all this makes sense and I have noticed inaccurate numbers and things that dont add up. That was my first test of the year after I got the pool clean and crystal clear. Im afraid I have been getting along by the grace of God, common sense, good old fashion Irish luck and Pool school intuition. My pool is looking great and my only problem is a persistent sediment that I get on the bottom that I have to vacuum up weekly. I am adding muratic acid this morning, calcium+ This afternoon and then Pool chlorine 10% tonight and then will check all again. I tend to go by 1/2 recommendations and increase as needed rather than too much since I dont really trust the test results. I have just ordered the TF 100 ��. I like accuracy. Again Thank you.

That's dead algae.....from inconsistent application.

Your TF-100 will pay for itself just in chlorine savings from events like that.

Thank you thank you thank you:kim:that dead algae on the bottom has been the BIGGEST time consumer and I am sooo happy to know there is a solution and its on the way. With tf 100 I will actually know what im doing and be consistent and precise in my chemical usage. I cant wait for it to get here and see where Im really at. :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.