Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bonding a Magnetek pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Bonding a Magnetek pump

I am needing help with bonding my Magnetek pump to my bonding grid. I cannot find any bonding lug on the exterior of this pump anywhere. I am selling my home and the buyers has it inspected and one of the things he noted was that the pump needed to be bonded. I never noticed this issue before but I have found my bonding wire coming up beside my equipment pad. However, I do not see where it should go. I am attaching pictures of my pump in hopes that someone can help identify where this should hook up. Thanks for your help.

P.S. I am fixing the loose conduit too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18x36 8ft deep end (~27k gallons), IG, Vinyl Lined, Polaris 360 Cleaner
    Sand filter, 2HP Pump, Municipal Water Source TF-100 Test kit
    East TN
    CYA Chart SLaM Add DE to Sand OCLT

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bonding a Magnetek pump

You can buy a bonding lug at an electrical house or one of the home improvement stores and bolt it to either one of the motor flange bolts or one of the motor bell housing bolts at the back of the motor. If you choose one of the bell housing bolts be very careful not to snap it off when trying to loosen it.

As an alternative, you could bolt it to one of the capacitor cover screws and see if they'll pass it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, Thanks for the reply! I have checked at Ace and the ones they have has a smaller hole for the mounting bolt to go through. So, I'm not sure this one will work due to the bolts on the pump being a little larger. If not I'll try the big orange box store in hopes that they have it.
    18x36 8ft deep end (~27k gallons), IG, Vinyl Lined, Polaris 360 Cleaner
    Sand filter, 2HP Pump, Municipal Water Source TF-100 Test kit
    East TN
    CYA Chart SLaM Add DE to Sand OCLT

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

it is a log shot but I wold check behind the plate at the back of the motor the one that is held on by slotted hex screws at the top there might be a bonding lug in there.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ilsco makes grounding lugs that will bolt right on using your existing motor housing bolts (May need to buy a long housing bolt - 5/16x18?) Run a solid ground wire to it back to your timer which should have a ground wire back to the main panel. Here is a website that carries grounding lugs. GBL-4 :: Grounding Lug :: Wire Connectors :: MrSupply.com

6. Back To Top    #6

The pool bonding grid should not be tied directly to the electrical grounding bus. They are separate things. The pump already has a green ground wire running to it.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help