Trichlor tab stained pool

Jul 6, 2016
Memphis, TN
Went on vacation for 3-4 days last week and used some tabs (first time in a long time). When I came back, I was cleaning out the skimmers and doing yard work etc. There was a leftover piece of tab about the size of a then 50 cent piece that I accidentally left on the side of the pool and me/my wife/the dogs knocked it into the pool. It was dark when we finished up so I didn't see it and this morning I noticed it in there. I fished it and it broke into a million pieces so I ended up just vacuuming it out.

However, it looks like it left some stains on my plaster from being left there over night. Is this permanent?

It depends on whether you are dealing with a stain or bleaching. Are the spots faded or white? If so then it is bleached, the pigment is gone, and yes it is permanent.

It's not white. It darkened almost like an organic stain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does the rest of the surface look like? If high chlorine darkens the pool surface, my first thought would be copper. Is this a "3-way" tablet? Do you know if you have copper in the water?

What does the rest of the surface look like? If high chlorine darkens the pool surface, my first thought would be copper. Is this a "3-way" tablet? Do you know if you have copper in the water?

Yes. The product is from Poollife and called something like MPT 3 and it contains copper sulfate.

Previous owners also had a mineral sanitizer, (cartridge since removed), but it was putting copper and silver in the pool. Never did anything to get rid of it so I'm sure some is still in there.

Might it be a metals stain I can get rid of with vitamin C?

Yes. The product is from Poollife and called something like MPT 3 and it contains copper sulfate.

Previous owners also had a mineral sanitizer, (cartridge since removed), but it was putting copper and silver in the pool. Never did anything to get rid of it so I'm sure some is still in there.

Might it be a metals stain I can get rid of with vitamin C?

The Vitamin C method only works with iron.

You might be able to scrub the stain off with a sock containing dry acid or pH Down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.