Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trichlor tab stained pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Trichlor tab stained pool

Went on vacation for 3-4 days last week and used some tabs (first time in a long time). When I came back, I was cleaning out the skimmers and doing yard work etc. There was a leftover piece of tab about the size of a then 50 cent piece that I accidentally left on the side of the pool and me/my wife/the dogs knocked it into the pool. It was dark when we finished up so I didn't see it and this morning I noticed it in there. I fished it and it broke into a million pieces so I ended up just vacuuming it out.

However, it looks like it left some stains on my plaster from being left there over night. Is this permanent?
    Memphis, TN.
    Pool IG, 20K gallon, Gunite. Triton Sand filter, Pentair Pump, Polaris 280, Doheny Discovery Dolphin, Chlorinating Liquid, Rock Water Feature, New Plaster 2015
    Spa 450 gal, Tropic Seas Waikiki 864L, Bromine
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Trichlor tab stained pool

It depends on whether you are dealing with a stain or bleaching. Are the spots faded or white? If so then it is bleached, the pigment is gone, and yes it is permanent.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

3. Back To Top    #3

It's not white. It darkened almost like an organic stain.

Memphis, TN.
    Pool IG, 20K gallon, Gunite. Triton Sand filter, Pentair Pump, Polaris 280, Doheny Discovery Dolphin, Chlorinating Liquid, Rock Water Feature, New Plaster 2015
    Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog43 View Post
    It's not white. It darkened almost like an organic stain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What does the rest of the surface look like? If high chlorine darkens the pool surface, my first thought would be copper. Is this a "3-way" tablet? Do you know if you have copper in the water?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    What does the rest of the surface look like? If high chlorine darkens the pool surface, my first thought would be copper. Is this a "3-way" tablet? Do you know if you have copper in the water?
    Yes. The product is from Poollife and called something like MPT 3 and it contains copper sulfate.

Previous owners also had a mineral sanitizer, (cartridge since removed), but it was putting copper and silver in the pool. Never did anything to get rid of it so I'm sure some is still in there.

Might it be a metals stain I can get rid of with vitamin C?

Memphis, TN.
    Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog43 View Post
    Yes. The product is from Poollife and called something like MPT 3 and it contains copper sulfate.

Previous owners also had a mineral sanitizer, (cartridge since removed), but it was putting copper and silver in the pool. Never did anything to get rid of it so I'm sure some is still in there.

Might it be a metals stain I can get rid of with vitamin C?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Vitamin C method only works with iron.

You might be able to scrub the stain off with a sock containing dry acid or pH Down.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach