Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tiny Stones Embedded in Gunite

1. Back To Top    #1

Tiny Stones Embedded in Gunite

Very small stones appear embedded in the gunite only on the pool stairs. The pool has been acid washed and the stones remain. Any ideas on what they are and how to eliminate them? Thnaks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tiny Stones Embedded in Gunite

Are you saying you have not seen them before?

You say gunite. Do you mean plaster?

If you share a picture we might be able to understand what you are dealing with.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response. Yes it is a plaster pool. They have been there for years (my brother's pool has the same thing). Most are black. Definitely not algae. I've attached an image. Thanks again.stones.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Are you saying you have not seen them before?

You say gunite. Do you mean plaster?

If you share a picture we might be able to understand what you are dealing with.

Kim

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks like black algae to me. Have you tried scratching it several times with your finger nail?
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the response. Definitely not algae. This has been around for years even after an acid wash, bleach wash and power wash. Just recently I used a 3500 psi pressure washer and no change. Will not scratch off either.

6. Back To Top    #6

Can you feel them?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Completely smooth. Almost like it is part of the original plaster. Strange thing is that my brother has the exact same situation and they were different pool builders.

8. Back To Top    #8

Were the pools built about the same time? Do you have any idea if the plaster people were the same? Many PB use the same subs.

Kim

9. Back To Top    #9

Just looks like black algae to me.

Your plaster looks old? How old?

They may have been in the original plaster and creamed and troweled over. Now that the plaster has gotten older and the water has slowly eaten away the cream you see these. Its on the edge of the steps but not elsewhere in the pool?

I suspect your plaster coat is thinner there.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall