How do these numbers look?

Lazyman

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
NJ
I have a 1.5 hp pump on an 18' AG pool. Yes, it is too big, but that's the only pump the store offered with the package that was 2-speed.

I plumbed it with 2 inch PVC and installed a flow gauge as well. I wanted to see if I could possibly downsize the motor down the line.

low speed - 1.7 psi @ 28-29gpm <---(Would this be enough for normal use?)

high speed - 11-12 psi @ 78-80gpm

The high speed blew off one of the pvc connections. Wow, what a water flow coming out of that pipe at full speed! YEEHAWWW!! I just reglued it, but was afraid to turn it on high speed again. I wanted to run the pump for a couple of days straight, but with this blowout AND another very small drip on one of the fittings, I'll keep it on low for now and overnight. The other fitting isn't easily fixed. ARGGGHH!

My gauge only goes from 20-70 gpm. I thought I would just barely fit into that range, but apparently not. No big deal. I'm hoping to never really use high speed, especially with the Pool Rover Jr. cleaning.

Any thoughts?

Oh yeah, the pool water turns like a freaking toilet bowl flushing! Wow. I think the kids would get swept up in the circular motion and go in circles from the force of the water.

how many gallons is your pool? assuming 8600 gallons per your signature, and using 28gpm to stay on the low side, that's 1680 gallons per hour and 13440 gallons in 8 hours. according to pool school, you only need one "turnover" per day. so in 8 hours on low speed you can turn over your pool about 1.5 times. just over 5 hours should give you a full turnover. if it's that much force, maybe you should consider downsizing now if it's still returnable.
pool-school/pump_run_time

Nah, I won't return it at this point. The low speed uses 2.8 amps with 115 volts. Can't beat that really. 300 or so watts of power? I'm kind of liking it.

The pool at 54 inches is 8000+, but it's probably closer to 7800 - 8000 max. Just a guestimate. I do have the swg to consider when using pump run times as well. I'll have to figure all that into the equation when it gets down to it.

I turned the pump off for tonight. I didn't want to take the chance and have another blowout of the pipes, as one is still leaking a small, slow drip. Not sure what would become of it overnight.

Is that what blowouts start off as? Slow drips, then a big explosion? If it were to come out again like the other fitting, then it would be a good thing. I can then re-glue it back for a better fit. As it is now, there is not enough room to get to the pipe for another fitting or replacement fitting. Can I do a controlled blowout? Seriously. That would be great!

You know with sched 40 pvc, purple primer, the right glue for the material and pipe dimension and proper waiting time the joints should NOT come apart or leak.

Did you do the slight twisting when pushing the joints together to get the joint in all the way?

Did you use all of the above and the correct glue for 2" pvc and as well wait atleast 24 hours for the glue to set?

Lazyman said:
The pool at 54 inches is 8000+, but it's probably closer to 7800 - 8000 max. Just a guestimate.
Well, that's all it ever is, but...

With 18' round, 4' deep gets you 7600 gal. All the way to the top at 54" is 8600. Pick a number, use it for estimating chem amounts; if you overshoot or undershoot all the time, nudge the gallons down or up (respectively). Took me 3 tries to get a number I liked.
--paulr

I run my 2hp 2 speed pump on low 24/7. CAUSE I'M REALLY LAZY!!! :mrgreen:

Seriously, too much effort to turn it on and off and in 8 years never bothered to buy a timer.... :oops:

Oversized, probably. Ever give me trouble? Nope. The only time I run on high is vacuming. Only popped a rubber union once or twice cause I forgot to tighten a clamp.

mtbarr64 said:
You know with sched 40 pvc, purple primer, the right glue for the material and pipe dimension and proper waiting time the joints should NOT come apart or leak.

Did you do the slight twisting when pushing the joints together to get the joint in all the way?

Did you use all of the above and the correct glue for 2" pvc and as well wait atleast 24 hours for the glue to set?

The answer is yes, in theory, but apparently something went wrong. Is there anything I could do after the fact, to avoid taking off the fitting? It's a small drip.

In my opinion, I would redo the plumbing. If it is leaking something did not go right and will only get worse.

Usually you have to start new because redoing or reusing pvc fittings does not work.

One other question, did you put enough glue on so that it came out of the fitting and then you wiped it clean with a rag? It is best to have enough that oozes out a little than not enough.

I generally place enough glue that it oozes out of the fitting, but in this particular case, it may have not been enough.

The fittings are too close together to redo them now. That is my fault, but that's how it is now. On one side I have a Jandy Union/valve combo with little to no space in between, then the other side is the Pool Pilot manifold configuration, with little to no space in between.

I hope others can learn from my mistakes. If you're doing pvc, take your time and don't be shy with the applicator!

and... Measure 3 times!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.