Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to replace sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

When to replace sand filter

I have a Pentair TA-100D sand filter that I am guessing is 15 years old based on the age of some of the other equipment I've replaced. The multiport valve is shot so at a minimum I will need to replace that.

I'm wondering if it's worth replacing the valve (looks to be around $200) vs. replacing the entire filter (looks to be around $650 delivered). It looks like the fiberglass is "wearing" on the inside and out, but I'm not sure if that is just cosmetic. Does the filter body itself have a lifespan that I am nearing the end of, or with new valves do they last forever?

Thanks
    Brian
    35k gal IG plaster (25 x 45ft), 3HP Intelliflo FX, Pentair Quad DE 100, Intellichlor IC60 SWG, Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster pump, Raypak P-R406A

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to replace sand filter

They last a long, long time. Most of the time way more than 15 years, and indefinitely depending on how weathered it gets. Or if it gets damaged. If isn't cracked and leaking, and you can get parts for it, then why change it is my thought. Sometimes the valves just need new gasket kits put in but if its shot, slap a new one on and go.

I seriously doubt it's near the end of it's life by a long shot. Here's one recently posted, and still in service, made before it was even a Pentair branded filter.

TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Great to know, thank you.

Now I just need to decide if I want to keep it. If it was near end-of-life I was thinking of the Pentair Quad-DE... and now that I've been thinking I'd be getting that, it's hard to unthink it!
    35k gal IG plaster (25 x 45ft), 3HP Intelliflo FX, Pentair Quad DE 100, Intellichlor IC60 SWG, Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster pump, Raypak P-R406A

4. Back To Top    #4

You can keep it and and some DE to sand filter. Search in pool school.

Felipe
    7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, if you just want a new filter because you want DE, nothing wrong with that either. It's up to you entirely.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!