Think i found the "leak"...duh moment of the year!

ta2dwonderwoman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2016
fall river ks
Think i found the "leak"...duh moment of the year!

So, i found that on two different days recently that i had lost 2-4 inches of water, seemingly overnight.... it has been kind of hard to pin it down because of all the backwashing I've been doing in the process of getting the pool clean not to mention the partial drain I had to do to replace a part on my return jet. I filled the pool back up to full 2 days ago and when I got home tonight and noticed that my water was way low again... started talking too hubby about it and he mentioned that the ground was pretty wet out by our faucet, which he had mentioned previously but it was shortly after rain so we didn't think a whole lot about it. When he mentioned it I went right outside and checked and sure enough it wasn't just slightly wet there was actually standing water on the ground around our faucet. At that point we realized that what was happening was that when we turn the water off after filling up the pool and did not remove the hose it created a back suction and started siphoning water back out of the pool... at least that's my theory at the moment. We filled the pool back up tonight and removed the hose after we were done and will now keep an eye on it for a few days to see if we lose any water. Pretty sure our leak is not a thing!!! I was really struggling to understand how we could lose that much water that fast and the ground around the pool wasn't wet at all, so this Theory explains a lot of things I've been puzzling about...:swim:

- - - Updated - - -

Derp.

P7110024.jpg

this guy is my teammate and the :super: to my wonderwoman! I do most of the pool stuff, but he is my muscle and helps when a lot of walking back and forth is needed (getting stuff and turning water off and on since it is at the front of the house)... with my copd, I am limited is so many ways as t what I can do, but the physical requirements needed to keep up a pool are exercise for me without actually exercising! it works out well and keeps me moving, which helps prolong my lifespan and quality of life!

just glad he spoke up...when it happened for the 2nd time and water around the spout was mentioned both times, a light bulb finally went off! SIPHONING! started telling a co-worker and he asked if we had a "horsehead" type handle on our faucet...I said "why yes we do" - he told me that he filled up a horse trough a few times and it kept sucking the water back out because they are built with some sort of pressure thing inside and if you leave them in water, and turn them off, they will SIPHON the water right back out! who knew?????

The little round disk behind the valve handle for your hose bib is actually a backflow preventer. It prevents your hose from siphoning anything back into potable water system. To do this if your hose does start to siphon that little round disk closes the pipe to the house and opens up a port that dumps what ever the hose is siphoning to the ground. Backflow preventers became mandatory on hose bibs in the late 80's or 90's I think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.