Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Balance prior to adding Borates

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Balance prior to adding Borates

Hey guys!
    Wanting to add borates to pool, have used Muratic acid to pull down TA. From my
    newly purchased TF100 test kit, here are my latest test results:

FC 7.0
    CC 0.5
    pH 7.0
    TA 80
    CH 50
    CYA 50
    SALT 4200
    TEMP 75F

Salt reading is from the Circupool RJ 60 swg. It was registering about 37-3800 before
    adding about 3 qts of acid to pool. Figure the additional salt was due to reactions based on
    the add. Previous TA was 110.

I have a 55lb bucket of boric acid to add to the pool from Duda Energy. Should I make any further
    adjustments prior to adding the ba? This is a new pool, flower aerator coming Tuesday to help
    with the pH. Any advice as to adds and sequence would be appreciated.

Tim
    Tega Cay, SC
    2016 build 16x32 polymer IG-Speck BaduMV 2.4 hp variable speed pump-individually run 2" plumbing-4 returns-1 skimmer-Doheny Discovery robot-
    jetted bench-Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 cartridge filter-Circupool RJ60+ SWG-Hotspot FPH heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Balance prior to adding Borates

What's the total volume of the pool (you don't list it)?

Also, by polymer I assume you mean this is a vinyl lined pool. Your water has extremely low calcium levels at 50ppm. Given your numbers, your CSI is -1.63 which I realize is not too important for a vinyl pool, but it is awfully low. Are you certain your CH is that low? If so, is it just because you have really soft fill water?

You kind of need the pH to come up a bit. Even though boric acid is considered a weak acid and it won't drop the pH that much, usually anywhere from 0.2-0.3 units, starting at a pH of 7.0, you'll drop to a really low level that is not good for the heat exchanger in your heater. I would wait for your pH to come up a bit (shouldn't take too long) to about 7.5 and then add the borates.

But my other question is this - why are you adding them? Do you have trouble with rising pH? Usually in a vinyl pool and bleach, the rise in pH is fairly minimal. You can certainly still add them if you want.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Matt,
    pool volume is 19,000 gallons.
    adding borates for water appearance, feel, and additional algae protection.
    rechecked this AM, CH is 50ppm.
    No issue holding steady pH.
    Tim
    Tega Cay, SC
    2016 build 16x32 polymer IG-Speck BaduMV 2.4 hp variable speed pump-individually run 2" plumbing-4 returns-1 skimmer-Doheny Discovery robot-
    jetted bench-Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 cartridge filter-Circupool RJ60+ SWG-Hotspot FPH heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You may or may not realize the benefits you are expecting from borates. I would probably go ahead and add them (they can do no harm) but, if your pH is stable as you say, I think that eliminates the primary benefit of borates.

Nevertheless, some members here report all the benefits you are looking for........others report sensing no difference.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Should I worry about increasing the CH or stabilizer prior to adding the boric acid or does it matter?
    Tega Cay, SC

6. Back To Top    #6

They don't matter. The only thing that matters is TA.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach