Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool guy not enthused with our method

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool guy not enthused with our method

Pool store rep came by to check something about my liner today. He saw my bottles of bleach so it struck up a conversation needless to say. He told me that bleach would ruin my liner and something about the bleach eating up internal parts of my filter... I argued with him about the relationship btwn cya and FC and he said 98-99% Trichlor tablets were just the same and would not raise my cya levels. Interesting convo. One of those agree to disagree moments.
    24k gal. In-ground, vinyl. 2005 build
    Hayward Pro-Series S244T sand filter system
    Hayward motor & pump (rpm 3450,model SP2607X10)
    Polaris 280 w/booster pump.Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool guy not enthused with our method

L,

You should never argue with idiots, it just brings you down to their level...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah....interesting...in the sense of "interesting how absolutely wrong he is" ....

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

But the bottle says "Bleach" right there on the label. How can it not bleach everything within 100 feet? LOL.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

As soon as he told you tablets don't raise CYA you should have just called him an idiot and told him to leave.

I HAVE PEOPLE SKILLS!!
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    As soon as he told you tablets don't raise CYA you should have just called him an idiot and told him to leave.

I HAVE PEOPLE SKILLS!!
    One of my all time favorite movies....

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

I think my sparkly , clear pool going on 3 seasons speaks for itself
    24k gal. In-ground, vinyl. 2005 build
    Hayward Pro-Series S244T sand filter system
    Hayward motor & pump (rpm 3450,model SP2607X10)
    Polaris 280 w/booster pump.Taylor K-2006 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh My, Mr. Pool guy.

Would have been difficult to hold my tongue. Impossible actually.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by lindz18 View Post
    he said 98-99% Trichlor tablets were just the same and would not raise my cya levels.
    Huh... interesting. So then what kind of wizardry was involved when I raised my CYA from 20 to 40 using nothing but leftover trichlor pucks I had from before I discovered TFP?
    16x32, In Ground, ~20,000 gallons, Vinyl
    1hp Hayward Pump, Hayward s200 Sand Filter, Raypack Heater (rarely used)
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Has he ever read the ingredients on that which he promotes for use??? Obviously not.
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

11. Back To Top    #11

I was actually wondering a bit about the bleach fading the liner issue. My pool won't be ready for swimming at all for another month, its at 56 degrees now. My FC level is at 10ppm. The wife was concerned it could fade the liner having chlorine that high for a month. Should I lower the levels a bit or is she worrying about nothing. Thanks!
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

12. Back To Top    #12

I've been trying to get my cousin to use TFP on his new pool. He had a pool pro over to give him a session on the equipment and the "pro" has convinced him that I am just "shocking" my pool everyday...lol. So now dear cousin is going to use pucks in a floater. The big kicker...he just drained ALL the water because the CYA was at least 100. But he says the pool pro told him that he "won't have to drain that often!!!!" Oh well...I'm just a girl so what do I know...lol.

Crystal...she of the sparkalicious crystal clear pool water!
    60K 53 X 23 X 3'-10' IG Grecian Concrete aka "The Beast"
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir
    Dolphin M500 aka "The Beast Master"
    Sta Rite Max E Pro 2 HP - Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T.
    My Pool Thread: Old School Pool

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

One of our site experts has a running experiment where he has placed a piece of liner in a bottle of straight bleach. It's been in there since last year and no noticeable effect. No fading. No loss of flexibility. Nothing.

Guess that pretty much debunks that myth.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    One of our site experts has a running experiment where he has placed a piece of liner in a bottle of straight bleach. It's been in there since last year and no noticeable effect. No fading. No loss of flexibility. Nothing.

really! wow guess that answers my question

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by richierich View Post
    I was actually wondering a bit about the bleach fading the liner issue. My pool won't be ready for swimming at all for another month, its at 56 degrees now. My FC level is at 10ppm. The wife was concerned it could fade the liner having chlorine that high for a month. Should I lower the levels a bit or is she worrying about nothing. Thanks!
    Do you have any CYA in the water? CYA buffers the chlorine so its not so harsh. A pool with NO CYA and 3ppm FC is much harsher than one with CYA and 10ppm FC.
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post

ya and I think he said he was using 12%
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

What is your CYA level?
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

Yeah I just put it in this past weekend, so waiting to test it since I've read it takes about a week to register on a test.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Paul & Crystal View Post
    I've been trying to get my cousin to use TFP on his new pool. He had a pool pro over to give him a session on the equipment and the "pro" has convinced him that I am just "shocking" my pool everyday...lol. So now dear cousin is going to use pucks in a floater. The big kicker...he just drained ALL the water because the CYA was at least 100. But he says the pool pro told him that he "won't have to drain that often!!!!" Oh well...I'm just a girl so what do I know...lol.

Crystal...she of the sparkalicious crystal clear pool water!
    No way!!

Ok then...yea...dumb girl in a band simply must be an idiot.

I cannot WAIT until they ask you how you REALLY do it. Sorry, but that really annoys me.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I just put it in this past weekend, so waiting to test it since I've read it takes about a week to register on a test.
    If you used a sock, you can see it in 24 hours max once it is completely dissolved and sock is empty. The forum used to say that, but not any longer.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

20. Back To Top    #20

Oh Ok. Thanks I'll have to test later then when I get home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast