Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ta=250???

1. Back To Top    #1

Ta=250???

I started my pool up about a month ago and have had great test results using a 4 year old TF-100 kit.
    FC=8
    PH=7.2
    TA=110
    CYA=60

Started running out of test chemicals so ordered a new refill kit and received it last week. This past week we have gotten quite a bit of rain and had to drain about 4" off this past week. Today I used the new test kit and the TA is now showing 250. Does the TA test chemicals expire over time? Dont know how the TA got so high over the past week.

FC=8
    PH=7.2
    TA=250
    CYA=45
    Intex 22' x 52"
    Intex 2500 gph
    TFPC Method (BBB)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ta=250???

Highly unlikely that your TA is 250. Can you describe your test procedure?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Highly unlikely that your TA is 250. Can you describe your test procedure?
    25ml water sample, 2 drops of R0007, 5 drops of R0008, swirl to mix well. Swirl while adding 1 drop at a time of R0009. Same as I was doing before with old kit. I just went out with old kit and TA=250 also.
    Intex 22' x 52"
    Intex 2500 gph
    TFPC Method (BBB)

4. Back To Top    #4

What have you added since opening?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

Not really an opening but drain, power wash and fill. When filled added muriatic acid to get ph down to 7.2. Then added bleach to get FC to 8. Then 4lbs of stabilizer from walmart. Nothing else has been added (other then these). My TA was at 110 through several storms. Then today's rain and its showing 290 as of a few minutes ago. When I used my old kit today I was completely out of R0009 so I used the new reg. R0009 is the only thing different. Might be my imagination but the drops look smaller then my old R0009.
    Intex 22' x 52"
    Intex 2500 gph
    TFPC Method (BBB)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by rkersh409 View Post
    Not really an opening but drain, power wash and fill. When filled added muriatic acid to get ph down to 7.2. Then added bleach to get FC to 8. Then 4lbs of stabilizer from walmart. Nothing else has been added (other then these). My TA was at 110 through several storms. Then today's rain and its showing 290 as of a few minutes ago. When I used my old kit today I was completely out of R0009 so I used the new reg. R0009 is the only thing different. Might be my imagination but the drops look smaller then my old R0009.
    Did you wipe the tip after every drop? I have to so just throwing that out there!!

Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method
    POOL SCHOOL, ABC'S of WATER CHEMISTRY, POOL MATH, SUPPORT TFP!!, TEST KIT!

7. Back To Top    #7

No I don't wipe LoL. Never heard that before. What is the reason for wipping? Will give it a try tomorrow
    Intex 22' x 52"
    Intex 2500 gph
    TFPC Method (BBB)

8. Back To Top    #8

If static builds up or the tip is wet, the drops can be the wrong size.

Try testing your tap water.

Is it city water or well water?
    Support the site

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    If static builds up or the tip is wet, the drops can be the wrong size.

Try testing your tap water.

Is it city water or well water?
    City. What should tap water read?
    Intex 22' x 52"
    Intex 2500 gph
    TFPC Method (BBB)

10. Back To Top    #10

Not sure what yours might be. Just wanted to compare.

Might be a bad dropper tip.
    Support the site

11. Back To Top    #11

So this morning I tested the water like I normally do TA=220. So I changed the tips from my old bottle, no change. Tested my tap water and TA=290. So I got another sample from my pool. 1 drop and wipe and finally got TA=110. Thats weird that I have never had to wipe the tip before.

Thanks for the help.
    Intex 22' x 52"
    Intex 2500 gph
    TFPC Method (BBB)

12. Back To Top    #12

That is unusual but not unheard of. Water I've dealt with is 180-200 TA not too far from me, but I didnt know it was that high in that part of Texas. Still, that is quite a disparity between the results even wiping the tip. I know this comes up, and it is occasionally a problem, I've just never experienced the static issue. If you can repeat that, then go with 110. The R0009 should last a very long time under good storage conditions just as an aside, but its always best to have fresh reagent. They simply don't warrant saving money on for the huge value they provide.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

Patrick I tested my pool water again, doing the wipe method and TA=110. So I guess I have static bulding up on my tip. I also tested my tap water again wipping tip and TA=170. So pretty close to what you are seeing.

Again everyone thanks for the help.
    Intex 22' x 52"
    Intex 2500 gph
    TFPC Method (BBB)

14. Back To Top    #14

Excellent, glad to hear you got it sorted, and thank you for letting us know.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem