Is there a potion to lower CYA?

Jan 2, 2015
Palm Springs, CA
I have a neighbor who is asking me to help him with his pool (spouse volunteered me). He says the pool store told him his CYA was about 180 but they have a potion to lower it.

I haven't been to a pool store in a long time, so do they really have a potion to lower CYA.

I am thinking it will need a drain, but wanted to know if there was another option I wasn't aware of before I go over there with my test kit.

They have a potion they "say" will lower CYA, but testing by members here show that the main thing it does is move money from your wallet to the pool store. A "treatment" is about $50 and doesn't seem to work reliably or repeatably. I guess what I'm saying is it works "sometimes", but not all the time.

From what we surmise the science is close, but not ready for prime time yet. For years folks have reported opening pools in the spring with no CYA when they had a lot in the fall. We have always thought that there was a microbe that "consumed" the CYA and this company says they have identified/isolated it. But, an it's a big BUT - there must be specific conditions for it to work and they have not been adequately identified.

Have them put the money toward a partial drain/refill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.