Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there a potion to lower CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there a potion to lower CYA?

I have a neighbor who is asking me to help him with his pool (spouse volunteered me). He says the pool store told him his CYA was about 180 but they have a potion to lower it.

I haven't been to a pool store in a long time, so do they really have a potion to lower CYA.

I am thinking it will need a drain, but wanted to know if there was another option I wasn't aware of before I go over there with my test kit.
    6640 gallon outdoor in-ground 8x26 pebble pool, 3'-5' deep, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed pump, Jandy CL580 Cartridge Filter, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there a potion to lower CYA?

They have a potion they "say" will lower CYA, but testing by members here show that the main thing it does is move money from your wallet to the pool store. A "treatment" is about $50 and doesn't seem to work reliably or repeatably. I guess what I'm saying is it works "sometimes", but not all the time.

From what we surmise the science is close, but not ready for prime time yet. For years folks have reported opening pools in the spring with no CYA when they had a lot in the fall. We have always thought that there was a microbe that "consumed" the CYA and this company says they have identified/isolated it. But, an it's a big BUT - there must be specific conditions for it to work and they have not been adequately identified.

Have them put the money toward a partial drain/refill.
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

And a test kit!
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, that is what I thought, but sometimes my knowledge gets old.
    6640 gallon outdoor in-ground 8x26 pebble pool, 3'-5' deep, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed pump, Jandy CL580 Cartridge Filter, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

............and the Snake Oil keeps getting newer!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

There certainly is a potion to lower CYA. It's called H2O

21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

7. Back To Top    #7

I spoke with Snape. (Ok he died,but stay with the line) he's sending the Weesley brothers over and they will take care of it. They did really well in his Potions class at Hogwarts.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall