Return plumbing noisy

DavidH

May 26, 2009
SE Phoenix, AZ
Please see pix.
That white plastic screw-on cap in front of the SPA/Water Feature return makes a a vibration noise that can be heard a block away, no kidding! The only way to stop it is to increase the WF pressure to a point I don't want to use or to turn off the returns in favor of spa only. Is this normal? If not, what are my other options?

Attachments

• DavidH 004.jpg
    DavidH 004.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 224
  • DavidH 005.jpg
    DavidH 005.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 224
No, that sound isn't normal. Have you tried taking off the cap? It might be corroded, or poorly seated - if that's the case, a new one might fix it. It could be the wrong size.

If it seems to be in good shape, you can try covering the threads with teflon. This should eliminate some of the vibrations.

What happens when you set the valve such that the spa/return is off? From the pictures, it looks like the only return is via the water feature and you have that almost off. Is your filter pressure high?

mas985 said:
What happens when you set the valve such that the spa/return is off? From the pictures, it looks like the only return is via the water feature and you have that almost off. Is your filter pressure high?

Here's a better pic. The Jandy is always set to "Return" unless I am using the Spa Air blower. There are separate pipes for "Pool Return" and the aerator (Here called "Sprays.") Then, the Jandy for "Water Feature" and "Spa Return" on the left side of the return line. I keep the Water Feature on this very low in order to optimize a larger flow over the Spa spillover into the pool while providing a good waterfall with the water feature.

I can get rid of the vibrating noise by increasing the Water Feature return or by sending all the return water to the blower, or even setting it half way. Problem with that is I have to set it back before the pump shuts off or I loose spa water overnight.

Is this a typical plumbing setup?

My sand filter has always run 20-30 psi since they put it in and typically, I backwash before it hits 30. This was an issue back when I had a cartridge filter as well. The guy that put in the sand filter, opened that white lid and said he turned something in there around in an attempt to quiet it down. I just don't remember the specifics. Is there some kind of spring in there or something? I guess I could just shut off the pump, open up the lid and find out! :hammer: But my point, is this gadget normal? It seems to me there should just be an elbow there.
Thanks.

Attachments

• DavidH 007.jpg
    DavidH 007.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 189
If most of your flow is through the spa return, then that capped tee could be causing some significant turbulence in the water, especially with a 2 HP pump, which may be causing a lot of noise. The best solution would be to replace the tee and cap with a simple 90 but that may require quite a bit of plumbing rework.

Did that capped stub go to something at one point or is it used for something? You might take if off to see what is inside if anything.

Another solution might be to stuff something in the cap and tee to help with noise absorption and water flow such as high density foam. It would need to be a tight fight and resistant to chlorine.

mas985 said:
If most of your flow is through the spa return, then that capped tee could be causing some significant turbulence in the water, especially with a 2 HP pump, which may be causing a lot of noise. The best solution would be to replace the tee and cap with a simple 90 but that may require quite a bit of plumbing rework.

Did that capped stub go to something at one point or is it used for something? You might take if off to see what is inside if anything.

Another solution might be to stuff something in the cap and tee to help with noise absorption and water flow such as high density foam. It would need to be a tight fight and resistant to chlorine.

Hi Mark,
yep, the turbulence makes sense.
I am not the original owner so I don't know if it once went to something else but I doubt it.
Next time I clean the pump basket I will take it off and see what, if anything, is hiding in there but I am totally at your mercy knowing what is and what is not chlorine resistant.

What makes absolutely no sense to me is that the builder has a 2" return pipe going to the water feature but only a 1 1/2" return pipe going to the spa!

There is actually a check valve (Flow Control) in there with a very loose spring. I was loosing spa water (to the pool) with the pump off so I replaced the spring and Viola! no more water loss. So, the purpose of it must be to prevent loosing spa water when the spa return Jandy valve is open. However, I can now hear the rushing water when the pump is on (that I never heard before). The guy who installed my salt system recommended the check valve be replaced and from looking at the gasket, it is worn in a few places so I advised to go for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.