Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Significant PH rise after heavy rain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Significant PH rise after heavy rain?

We just finished up with a couple of days of heavy rain which brought the pool level up around four inches. I started my SWG on a shock cycle yesterday . I did a full set of TF-100 tests today (minus CYA which will be a whole other thread on that chemistry question) and got mostly what I expected given dilution. The surprise was PH which went from 7.5 to somewhere above 8.2 in that timeframe. I would have expected it to drop with rain.

Any insight?
    Chris

17k IG plaster, Pentair FNS DE, Aquarite 40k SWG, & Polaris 380 (AKA "Jacques") using city water

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Significant PH rise after heavy rain?

Two things:

1. Aeration from a heavy rain can raise pH, though I doubt that significantly.

2. Most likely culprit is the super chlorinate mode you turned on. pH rise from an active salt cell is significant, especially when the cell is producing chlorine 100% of the pump run time as is the case during "shock" mode.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, what was the alkalinity out of curiousity?

3. Back To Top    #3

Ah. Understood on the SWG. TA is 90, been slowly working it down from 140.

Chris

17k IG plaster, Pentair FNS DE, Aquarite 40k SWG, & Polaris 380 (AKA "Jacques") using city water

4. Back To Top    #4

[LifeHack]In order to extend the life of your cell, any time you need to raise FC quickly, just add bleach. A cell is best utilized to maintain an FC level.[\LifeHack]
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

5. Back To Top    #5

It's Aeration from both Chris. Also two days time, and higher TA. It all adds up. A little more than I would guess, but there are always surprises. Could be a little testing variation in there too, but no worries either way. I agree that having some fresh bleach around is never a bad thing when you need a little boost.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Will do, makes sense now. Thanks!
    Chris