Hayward Super Pump Dead?

Jun 2, 2009
Connecticut
New pool owner - I went to run my Hayward Super Pump today and got a little puff of black smoke from the cable. Previous home owner spliced the power cable to either lengthen it or perhaps it was cut somehow. We've had so much rain I think the splice got wet, and now the pump won't run. Of course this happens on a Friday afternoon. Here's the problem: the water level in the pool is currently over the skimmer and we are expecting three more days of rain here in Connecticut. The water isn't as clear as I'd like it, but that's another question that I'll post with my numbers. How many days can I go without having a pump running? I have an Aquabot that is at least moving the water around. Is there anything else that I should be concerned about? Thanks

Did you check the breakers? If tripped, make sure you tape and/or fix the splice well before reseting them.

Welcome to TFP!!

I'm in the Waterbury area ( I realize you don't want to give your address online - but if you're reasonably close, I may be able to come by and check things out 8) )

Given the weather we're expecting, you should be good for a few days as long as your cl was good before the pump went south :)

I'm going to Middletown tomorrow night for dinner with friends, if you are somewhere between Waterbury and there, I can work in a quick stop to check out your pool :-D

Otherwise, this is a job for the electricians!

The breakers are good; the GFI outlet has power. Where the power cord was spliced is charred. I hate to pay for an electrician only to find that the pump is burned out and needs to be replaced. Either way I'm probably going to spend close to the same amount. Its an older pump too.

Ted, thank you, unfortunately I'm not located between Waterbury and Middletown. You'd be going out of your way, but I appreciate the offer.

Eileen

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.