Chlorine dispensing and Photo of my Container Pool

spdas

Jun 17, 2009
Aloha, All, How do I get on top of the chlorine levels? I bought the blue floater at Home Depot and put in 3" tablets but some days chlorine is very low according to the vial test kit, so I shock the pool with 1/2# bag or so. The next day it may be too much chlorine and I pull the floater out for a day and the next day the chlorine is low again. Pool gets very little use, so the load does not vary much. Should I get a chlorinator or just keep working until I figure the floater out? Here is a photo of my pool made from a 20' steel storage container. It has a Jacuzzi on one end. And is located right off my back porch.

PoolBP.jpg

thanks
Francis

Hi francis, have you read pool school? If not give it a read, then read it again, and maybe one more time. Took me 3 times to start getting it. The methods you are using for maintining FC are not what this site supports. Get a good test kit so you can post numbers, which you will also be asked to do and the great folks on this site will help you figure out your problem.

Help on my test Kit UPDATED

Topics Merged for Consistency

Aloha, I have a K-mart 6 in one Aquachem test kit and according to the local pool shop that knows the local water, I need to test mostly CL, PH and CYA. (it is a add 5 drops type of kit) Here are the results:

CL 1.25 "Ideal according to kit"
BR 3.00 not necessary but here are the numbers
PH 7.6
TH 350 PPM
TA 190 PPm
CYA = ???

My question is
The CYA does not even register after you mix and fill another vial and look down to see a black dot. Filling up to the rim past the "20" I still see a dot, although it is a bit cloudy. What am I doing wrong? thanks
Francis

BTW the kit does not differentiate between CL and TC. Why?
Also I have been using shock and 3" tabs, since I am a newbie of 3 weeks and know better now.

Re: Help on my test Kit UPDATED

did you add cya or just use tabs? if it's just tabs you won't have much cya yet. you don't have a br reading unless you added bromine which I don't think you did. usually fc and tc are the same, unless you have cc's. you need a good kit and also it would be a great help if you would keep your posts in one thread so we can see the history. a mod will probably merge this back with your old thread (please).

The answers to the questions you posted are in Pool School. Focus on Recommended Levels, and get alot of practice with the Pool Calculator and you will figure this out. :goodjob:

I recommend you order a better test kit, the one you have isn't adequate for testing chlorine levels, and the CYA level - which you need to adjust up into range - the kit only has enough testing solution for 3 tests.

There is an article in Pool School that compares the test kits we recommend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.