Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine

My chlorine was 2.5 yesterday, SWG was 30%. I bumped it up to 60%. Today it's still 2.5. My CYA is 70. I assume this could mean that there's not enough salt? We haven't added any since the PB added it in January. I don't have a salt test kit. Which one is better....Taylor drops kit or the Aquachek test strips?

Oh and I added bleach today to get it up to 5.
    Pool completed December 2016, Pebble Tec, ~14k gallons, SWG, Jandy Pro-Series variable speed pump, cartridge filter, heater, iAqua Link

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Chlorine

SWGs don't generate much chlorine when the water is cool, and we've been cool lately. Just keep manually adding a couple times a week until it warms up.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

The Taylor K-1766 is the only test I recommend for salt. It is a true chemical measurement of the chloride (Cl-) ion concentration and it can be as precise as you want it to be (a 10mL sample will test at 200ppm/drop while a 25mL sample will be 80ppm/drop). Everything else (including your SWG) is a proxy measurement with lots of things that can interfere with the reading.

Knowing the salt level independent of the SWG's readout is the best way to know if the unit is functioning properly. Everything else is simply guesswork.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

JoyfulNoise...

Always appreciate your posts. When doing a 25mL sample, do you still use one (1) drop of R-0630 Chromate Indicator or do you need a little more? If more, how much more? EE, not ChemE!

Thanks!

(Sorry for hijacking the thread but I though it may help in the long run...)
    Still finding out details, new owner of used pool.
    13k, inground, plaster, Pentair IntelliFlo pump, cartridge filter, cooler, IntelliTouch i7 & AquaRite SWCG. TF-100, K-1766 & SpeedStir. More details as I learn...

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by aggiewonder View Post
    JoyfulNoise...

Always appreciate your posts. When doing a 25mL sample, do you still use one (1) drop of R-0630 Chromate Indicator or do you need a little more? If more, how much more? EE, not ChemE!

Thanks!

(Sorry for hijacking the thread but I though it may help in the long run...)
    It doesn't matter.

The chromate indicator is just that, an indicator. It does not play a role in the precipitation of chloride from the solution and only reacts with the silver ions once all of the chloride is depleted. So, by diluting it all you do is make the brick red color you're looking for appear a little lighter in shade. You could add one or two drops of the R-0630 and it would not matter.

When doing a 20mL sample (100ppm/drop), I add just one drop of the chromate indicator.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Many thanks, Sir.
    Still finding out details, new owner of used pool.
    13k, inground, plaster, Pentair IntelliFlo pump, cartridge filter, cooler, IntelliTouch i7 & AquaRite SWCG. TF-100, K-1766 & SpeedStir. More details as I learn...

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

beachcozy,

What does your water look like? What is your water temp?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    beachcozy,

What does your water look like? What is your water temp?
    Water looks great and temp is around 78
    Pool completed December 2016, Pebble Tec, ~14k gallons, SWG, Jandy Pro-Series variable speed pump, cartridge filter, heater, iAqua Link

9. Back To Top    #9

What brand of SWG do you have and is there a salinity readout on it?
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

10. Back To Top    #10

image.jpg
    No there isn't a salinity readout on it, the manual says to use test strips or a meter.
    I should also mention that we were out of town for a week, last week. I shocked and covered the pool before we left. When we came back there was some chlorine but it was low, 1-2. I did all the tests and got everything back to the right levels.

11. Back To Top    #11

If the salt level is low the display will have a low salt message, but you should test it to make sure it is in the 3000 to 3500 range for best performance. Since it shows chlorinating 60% it looks like the system is detecting enough salt in the water.

If everything looks like it should be working then the best test to do is an OCLT. The OCLT will rule out organics consuming the chlorine. Do a search for OCLT and ask any questions that you might have.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks!