Footprints in plaster!! Help!

Sep 16, 2016
Healdsburg, CA
We chose a Wet Edge premier stone finish for our pool.
You can see foot prints on the bottom, and marks that look like they were made by the polishing blade all along the bottom where the bottom meets the walls of pool. In addition there is a large platter size dark spot on one of the stairs. These marks were not there when the pool was first completed in Nov. The pool contractor oversaw the pool chemistry, etc. during the winter months. And we did not travel to the property until late Jan. That was when we noticed the marks. Pool contractor said it would go away once the water chemistry was set. The marks have not gone away. What happened? :(

Hi,
I will post pictures this weekend!
The applicator is proposing an acid wash treatment which, after doing some reading on this site, I realize is not the answer.
onbalnce, the TFP expert, says the plaster should be polished
Wish me luck as my husband & I enter into battle.:(

Been in contact with Wet Edge. Yes, you would think they would have a vested interest. They sent me back to the applicator, saying they had not seen the pool and so could not comment on the solution the applicator was proposing. I will be able to take pictures this Friday and will post here as well as send to Wet Edge. I will continue to pressure them to help us solve this issue.

Hi All
Well the applicator did an acid wash. They did not remove the water. The stain and foot prints are gone (see my pictures of these below). The plaster looks good.
I don't know the exact procedure that was followed. (We do not live full time at the pool location) and even though we asked for an explanation they did not tell us.
I do know after 2 weeks of working on it they put a 25-30#bag of soda ash in the pool and said there just a couple of spots left that they would spot treat. It's been a week since the soda ash. According to the pool contractor, who worked jointly with the applicator to fix the problem, the water chemistry is perfect. The water is clear. But there is a new problem...the plaster is slimy/slippery. We are so distressed!

Attachments

• IMG_2291.jpg
    IMG_2291.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_2289.jpg
    IMG_2289.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_2293.jpg
    IMG_2293.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 357

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is long past the "plaster dust" stage time. That ends about three weeks after newly plastering. Although since this pool underwent an (perhaps severe and major) acid bath, it could be producing plaster dust once again. Hard to say right now what is going on.

Now six months later, the slimy feel and cloudiness could be being caused by aggressive water dissolving plaster material from the surface, or from very scaling water. The water test readings of pH, alkalinity, and calcium levels need to be known and considered in this situation.

Just to be clear...pool was finished in November of 2016. Footprints & marks first noticed at the end of Jan.(see photos above). The marks got worse as time went by. The plaster applicator began a no drain acid wash 3 weeks ago, 5/1/2017. 1 week ago, Friday, 5/12, they added 25-30# bag of soda ash and had a pump in the pool moving the water around. Monday, 5/15 they turned on the pump, filter, etc. I don't know what they did as far as water chemistry. But I know they began balancing it this past Monday as well. I will try to get water test results ASAP! Thanks!

Yes I understand. Unfortunately, we don't live full time at the pool location. At the moment we are trying to get through the immediate crisis. And all the comments from this forum have been very helpful.
My test kit is on order and I will be doing as much as I can to maintain the pool!
(All my pool stats are at the pool location. I will update next tine I'm there.)
Thanks!

Based on those test results, I would suggest that no plaster material should be dissolving off the surface and causing a slimy feel. Have the plaster surface brushed vigorously and see if the condition forms again a day after brushing. If it does, there might be some unwanted deterioration going on.
Double check the water parameters when you get a chance. In a few weeks time, you will have see how the plaster looks and feels, and then go from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.