Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have an Intex CS20110 combination sand filter and SWG all in one (Similiar to this one). I have used it on my 18' above ground pool for 3 years now and have had zero problems with it.

My only issue is for the size pool that I have to keep the chlorine level where it needs to be, I really only need to run the system for about 5-6 hours a day. That will keep my pool perfect, but in order for the Hayward skimmer to work I really need the pump to run longer periods of time to keep things that fall in the pool from sinking to the bottom. I would be happy if I could run my pump all the time or at the very least from daylight till dark. If I did this now, I would over clorinate the pool.

My thought is to buy a standalone SWG like the Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 and hook it up to my existing pump/SWG combo and just unhook the electrical connections to the SWG part of my existing pump/SWG combo. This way I can program my existing pump/SWG combo to run for say 12 hours "daylight-dark" and also program the standalone SWG to run for a 6 hour period during that 12 hour pump run. This would give me the filteration that I want without over clorinating the pool.

Has anyone done this before? I have already unhooked the copper part of my existing SWG system and it had no ill effects. I assume the SWG would be the same but don't know. I don't want the thing beeping at me the whole time it's running. I would do some testing...but I have all the plumbing unhooked right now to change out the sand in the filter.

What you suggest sounds as if it work but a couple of thoughts. The unit you linked to has the ability to set the Cell run time independently of the pump but you did say "Similar" is it possible yours has the same option? If not I would think you could lower your CYA level so the FC is not as protected and consumption is more in line with a longer run time.

What you suggest sounds as if it work but a couple of thoughts. The unit you linked to has the ability to set the Cell run time independently of the pump but you did say "Similar" is it possible yours has the same option? If not I would think you could lower your CYA level so the FC is not as protected and consumption is more in line with a longer run time.

Mine does not have the ability to run the cell seperate from the pump runtime. I think they found a flaw in their initial design and fixed it going forward.

One last idea and you have to be the DIY sort to consider it, onece you do a test disconnecting the cell and there is no alarm driving you crazy you could consider cutting into one of the power conductor leads to the cell and put a timed relay switch in line like THIS you would of course need to put it into some sort of outdoor rated enclosure but should still be less expensive than a whole new SWG system.

Well if you simply unhook the plug that goes to the salt cell you will get the low salt warning beeping. Not what I was wanting. I am going to pull the cover off and see if I can figure out a way to make this go away easily. The only other option that I have is to just run the pump in FP mode (24/7) and set a standalone SWG to run the length of time I need it to run. I will report back once I tear into it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.