Wiring and pool setup. Thoughts and suggestions?!?

Jul 24, 2015
STAMFORD, CT
Hey Everyone,

This is a long post, i was looking for any ideas or suggestions for my current setup, my initial post was just looking for how to wire everything together, but i realized there's just whole lot wrong with my setup and would like some thoughts. Below is a description of my setup. thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

I've spent a better half of the last 2 years just searching and learning, my setup is pretty basic right now, and it just makes everything more of a headache. I've learned a lot about how much my setup sucks, lol. I currently have an old leslies 3/4HP single speed pump, and an old metal sand filter, no heater, pool is estimated around 12k gallons. the plumbing seems to be a mess. 1 skimmer, 1 return, 1 vac port, the main drain does not work, i believe it is plugged in the bottom of the pool, and no idea if the pipe from the drain is hooked up to anything. A new skimmer was installed before we bought the house, so I'm assuming they didn't hook up the main drain, or maybe there is a leak in it. there is a vac port which seems to be connected to the skimmer piping (i have to use a the flow adapter in the skimmer to get enough suction through the vac port. its very hard to run new piping because my pool is built on a higher level than where my equipment is, and the equipment is in a shed about 3 feet below where the bottom of the pool would be, and there is a retaining wall that holds up the area where to pool is. its all plumbed with black flex poly, like they used in the olden days. obviously not ideal. would be really hard to replace it all and run new pipes through the retaining wall, let alone dig deep enough up top to get them ran through the existing. But if its vital i do so, then i will. look like its just one suction, and one return pipe being ran through the wall.

Id like to make my life easier, and cheaper. Im looking to install a 2 speed pump, pentair cartridge filter, Stenner, and a raypak 266k BTU heater. I'm going to move all the equipment outside of the shed, its currently sitting on a small cement pad through a cutout in the shed floor (very very odd, and very hard to get to if repairs are needed). im going to pour a new pad on the side of the shed. My original question was going to be, what is the best route for wiring it all? I have 120volt power through a single receptacle inside the shed, it only powers the current pump and its #12 THHN wiring i believe and ran through metal conduit (shed is 30 feet from house but everything runs through retaining wall to the house). I feel like I'm better off running a new line up around and down from the house for 240v and using a digital intermatic to control everything. it seems like the digital intermatics can only have 3 things setup on a timer. is it possible to wire the heater in with the 2 speed pump, to only turn on when the pump is on, i was confused because i know the high and low setting will both need its own timer slot, wasn't sure if there was a way to wire the heater in so it works when its on either high or low. then i would use aslot for the stenner. so the intermatic would have a slot for high, low, and stenner which take sup the 3 timer spots, and the heater would be hooked up with the pump.

Keep in mind im still very new at this, the pool is only open from May to September. I'm a 100% DIYer besides complex electrical. I will be hiring and electrician to hook all the wiring up.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Black poly gets a bad rap in my opinion . There's nothing wrong with it. If it doesn't leak there's no reason to be worried about it. If you have a drilled well on your property chances are it's plumbed with the same black poly pipe and it's under at least twice the pressure your pool is running at. Not many people worry about their well line.

Running a new electrical service also sounds like a good idea. A 40amp 220v subpanel is a nice thing to have. At that size it's enough to run a small heat pump if you ever want to go that route. Only need to dig down 18 inches I believe for the electrical conduit run. That will be the worst part of that job.

I'd suggest looking into a VS pump it may be a better fit than a 2-speed, its more money but it could end up being a lot cheaper to run with the heater in the mix. I know CT electrical rates are on the high side but I don't even notice the difference in my bill when my pool is running for the season.

Do you already have natural gas at your house or were you thinking of running propane? What's your expectations from heating the pool? A propane heater will be expensive to run and you will need to run a gas line out to your pad or have propane tanks brought in. If you have natural gas it changes the argument. Have you looked into a heat pump or solar as an option for heat?

I don't have any solid opinion in the stenner vs. SWG debate other than I'd like to get some sort of automated chlorine system myself. I'm leaning towards SWG to limit handling the liquid chlorine and trips to the store.

Thanks for the suggestions, they really help with narrowing down what i want to do.

Im leaning towards just keeping the black poly at this point, seems like a lot of work. Only reason i was considering replacing it was i may have the patio ripped up anyway in a few weeks, so thought it might make sense to change it all out and maybe get it all plumbs better back to the pad.

I did some tinkering last night, and there is already a 1/2 or 3/4 inch metal conduit ran into the shed from my basement, i may be able to pull the current #12 wire out while pulling new #10 or #8 through which just might be easier. I did notice damage on the metal conduit where it comes out of the ground into the flex conduit, hoping its just in that one spot. I need to do some more poking around.

I would be going the propane route. I do not have natural gas in my neighborhood. I was steering away from a heat pump because I was told it really wont work well when we get into the days with colder nights, and when the weather is unpredictable from hot to cold. i don't mind spending the money if it makes sense. but a few people have told me propane is probably the best route. We dont use the pool often because its so cold, i just had a kid though, and i believe it will probably get more use in the future, so heat pump would be best cost wise in terms of keeping it warm at all times. I'm just worried about the inconsistent weather and how well it'll work if its not 80 degrees out.

I have lots of trees around the pool and figured its easier to go the Stenner route in case of algae which ive dealt with in the past. im going to bury a huge container for all the bleach.

I have been back and forth on VS vs 2 speed. Im starting to think VS is probably the better move.

The cost of everything adds up quickly, id like to do it all at once, but I'm coming to the realization I may have to do some things at different times.

4 #8 wires thru 3/4" conduit is a tight fit. Best you can do if its 1/2" will be #10 wire. Still a 30amp 220v panel is better than a single #12 at 110v. Assuming the conduit is in one piece you should be able to pull new wire thru.

If your patio is going to be removed (concrete or paver?) that is a good time to ensure there was a bonding grid installed and to check the condition of the plumbing connections to the skimmer and returns. Are there any lights in the pool? Any metal handrails? If there is no bonding grid, there is no better time than when you are ripping out the patio to install one.

Once a main drain goes bad and is plugged there is generally no hope in fixing it. People will argue here that main drains really aren't needed and generally just end up causing problems.

Having a heat pump myself I can tell you that it works really well and I was able to keep the pool in the mid 80's every day last season till the end of September with no issues. If you plan on any heater in this climate you absolutely need to keep the pool covered with a solar cover when not in use. You will spend a small fortune to heat your pool no matter which heater you have if it isn't covered when you aren't using it. Also don't run your pool pump at night with heaters you will increase your heat loss. Before you pull the trigger on a propane heater and all the tanks and gas pipes look into heat pumps again.

As for the chlorine usage if you follow the TFP method for pool chemistry you wont be going through that much chlorine. I was using about 1-2 gal of 12% a week last summer. A SWG would be able to maintain you pool crystal clear if you follow the method here. At most I was spending about 5 min every other day most of the season to check chemistry and add bleach. You can see pictures of the water in my pool in the link in my signature. I looked at it the other day under the winter cover it's still as clear as the day I closed it. You may have had algae problems in the past but now that you found this place those days will just be a distant memory of days gone by.

If you get a VS pump you won't regret the extra money spent on it and you thank yourself for it every month when the eversource bill comes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.