Which speed to choose??!

IMason

Sep 23, 2016
Clayton/CA
Good morning from sunny California!

We just got our new pool and I am slowly learning about all the bits and bobs on it.

We have a Jandy proseries variable speed pump (not sure if it is 1.0 or 2.0) but it has like 8 speeds. I have learned enough to know that when I run my pump I run it on the lowest speed but when would I ever use the other ones? I'm feeling overwhelmed by choice :confused:

If anyone knows a good post/aricle that explains this, that would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

You would change speed to increase water flow. Does your spas have its own pump? If not then you would increase speed to make the spa jets work more forcefully. Also your heater and SWG have minimum water flow rates for them to work. You would increase the speed to meet those minimum flow requirements. Last would be if you had a suction/pressure side cleaner you would increase speed for better cleaning.

Your automation is probably already making these changes for you all by itself. Just for fun switch to spa mode and see what the pump does all by itself.

You want to run the pump at the lowest speed that will still do the following:

Keep the heater working
Keep the SWG working
Filter the water effectively (i.e. is your pool crystal clear?)
Ripple the surface to skim surface debris

As your filter gets dirty, your flow rate will drop to the point where the above isn't met anymore. At that point, you can clean your filter. Or, if you're feeling lazy, bump up the speed to maintain flow rate until you get around to cleaning it!

I vary my speed depending upon what the need is. That is, most time it is running t 800RPM which is sufficient for some water movement, filtering and running the SWG. But that really does not provide a lot of flow to keep the surface clean when windy and lots of stuff dropping. When people are over swimming, I will have at 1400 RPM, which provide more movement and better cleaning. If there is a lot of surface stuff, I will run at 2800 - 3450 to clean it off before swimming - I have my "quick clean" button set to 2800.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.