Filter Clogging best cleaning methods?

spdas

Jun 17, 2009
Aloha all, I have the Hayward 1200 cartridge filter system which is way large for my system. I clean it and in a few hours out put is down to a trickle again. I went and bought a new cartridge and it is pumping with great flow and water is much cleaner. Soooo what in my cartridge cleaning methods is wrong?
1: there is a lot of brown stuff on the pleats that I clean off with a pressure nose/nozzle that is the brass kind described here (shoots 40 feet or so). I get all the stuff off

2: then is there a coating of maybe an oil (from body over time) that I do not see that is still present that I am not removing with plain water?

3: If so, then what sort of chemical do I use to "cut" the contaminants? I see a lot of suggestions here

4: What is the brown stuff?

Aloha, yes I will try the dishwasher trick, as I do the brass nozzle and clean every pleat, but must be some hidden oils/grease clogging. ( I bought the Hayward unit with used filter cart on Craigs, so do not know the history, but bands are broken, and the top and bottom gasket are brittle and cracked, but I made new ones and attached so they will not bypass but pleats are all in good shape)

Do the cartriges finally wear out?

thanks
Francis

Aloha, thanks, I am now in my first semester of Pool School, so my questions may get smarter and smarter.
I got the new filter and yes what a difference. Now trying to clean the old one as a spare.
Thanks

Francis

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.