Another first timer...

Hey guys,

My wife and I are closing on a new house soon, but we have the ability to do what we want to the property at this time. This being said, it has a 16' x 32' oval above ground pool with a constant depth of approximately 4'. It has a sand filter and a Polaris 65 with it. A windstorm came through here in SWMO several weeks ago and blew about half of the cover in, therefore I can't see the bottom at this time. The water does not look terrible, however, but the cover is dark green :D. At this point, the pool is about half full of water (pictures to follow this evening). I have read over this site the past couple days on the pool school and poolmath pages to try to get an understanding of the chemistry. I think I have a decent idea now. From what I understand, I need to start with liquid bleach and a test kit and that the pool is ready to be SLAMed now. I just ordered a Taylor K-2006 a few minutes ago per recommendation on TFP. I guess my main question is how should I go about filling it up the rest of the way while adding FC? I don't want to begin the process until I have my kit, but I believe it will be overnight shipped tonight. Any advice at all is much appreciated!

Welcome!

It might be best to wait on the kit then, but we can come back to that. If you ordered the 2006, you need to order more FAS-DPD reagent right now. For a pool SLAM we suggest the TF100XL for this reason. You will blow through the Titrant and soon the powder. Sorry, but you will be testing frequently for FC and it will consume your supplies for it rapidly.

Back to now with Chlorine. If you carefully calculated the current volume, you can use pool math to add 5 PPM FC. I would suggest you focus on getting out any and all debris of any kind. All that will add to your Chlorine load and make you use more, slowing this down. Glad you found us, and we will be happy to help you clear this up. If you are comfortable with the ABCs in Pool School, check out the SLAM procedures and get familiar while you're waiting. Ask any questions that arise, and we will be here to answer. Good luck, and look forward to seeing your SLAM thread. :goodjob:

Snapped a photo tonight. Don't judge the appearance! I've only had time to build a gate for the deck so far! Will be removing the cover and netting solids tomorrow barring rain, while waiting on my kit to show up. Poor thing has been neglected - but not for much longer. Thanks for the warm welcome and words of advice so far.

Pool 04.19.17.jpg

That has such great potential! How far from the house is it? Someone put some thought and care into that deck. A good powerwash and some bleach and you will be all set.

-Well water-do you have a water test from the well yet? If no please get one so we can see if there are any metals in it.

Kim:kim:

Yes, a power washer would really turn things around! I did find out that the liner is 2 years old, so I have that going for me. It is just 10-12' from the back of the house, where the basement walks out. I took this picture standing on the deck of the main level.

We have the water test kit from the health department but have not taken a sample and sent it in as of yet. I'll get on that also.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

We love green pools here at TFP... Well, we love seeing people take those pools from green to sparkling! I agree, lots of potential with that pool and pool area. Good luck and make sure you do your homework in Pool School (ABCs and SLAM). :study:

That looks like a nice set-up with the deck around half the pool. I was in a similar situation last year, just bought a house with a pool that need some TLC, but I had no idea what I was doing for the first two weeks. I just did what the pool store told me to do and spent a couple hundred dollars on stuff they sold me while seeing very little improvement on the pool. Then I discovered TFP, and had the pool swimmable in a little over a week. You are lucky to have discovered this place before dumping a bunch of money into the pool store's pockets for magic potions you don't need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have more photos of the SLAM so far but it won't let me upload them because it puts me over the "limit". Is there a way around this without starting a new thread? Thanks.

You can use photobucket or similar to paste board code... I am on here from my phone app tapatalk and it uploads for me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bfc30dd4bb52a91ff9e88e52b5c9854b.jpg

This is Day 3 (yesterday). Only Day 2 with pump/filter up and running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.