Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renovation in SoCal

1. Back To Top    #1

Renovation in SoCal

Hi all..

Just started renovating our about 12 year old in-ground gunite pool. Purchased the home 4 years ago and had to deal with horrible flaking of coping stone as well as cratering of the plaster inside the pool. Also have had to slowly replace some of the Jandy pool equipment. First changed out an old Jandy stealth filter pump to a VSP Pentair to save some $$$. Also updated to the new iAqualink 2.0 so we can control with our iPhones. Have dealt with multiple halogen bulbs on the old Jandy Colors lights going out as well as some shattered inner color lenses, while also replacing the light gaskets. We have 2 in pool and 1 in jacuzzi light, so I just ordered a Pentair Intellicolor 5g LED for the spa and am in process of getting the matching pool lights as well. My jandy SWG cell is dead as we have been running chlorine since we bought it, but with the help of this forum, I was able to diagnose my 170 error back to a bad transformer, so will be also purchasing a new Jandy PLC1400 setup including power sensor and newer style rear board.

We have decided to remove all the flagstone from our copings, steps, pilasters and fireplace and replace all those horizontal surfaces with sand finish bellecrete in dark gray with modern edge design. Our vertical surfaces behind the pool and on all walls, fireplace, pilasters, and BBQ island are going to be MSI silver travertine stacked stone panels. We have decided to go with Tropics blue mini pebble and are using a 1x1 mastertile blue mix for our waterline tile. We are also going to go from just a small spillover on our jacuzzi to a spillover on the entire surface and wrap the waterline tile up and over the edge, trying to get a more even flow for the outside of the pool and more modern look. Finally going to remove the granite top on our BBQ island and to with a poured and polished

Pool long view by MrBruin2k, on Flickr
    Jacuzzi by MrBruin2k, on Flickr
    Raiser bond beam by MrBruin2k, on Flickr
    Uneven coping concrete line by MrBruin2k, on Flickr
    Fireplace by MrBruin2k, on Flickr
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Renovation in SoCal

Be sure to take lots of pictures of the renovation in progress. We love pictures! Best of luck on your project!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Have a ton I want to post but reached my limit for uploads...any easy way to post the pics?

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Supporters get more photo space. Our supporters help keep this website running in top condition and we really appreciate them!

Another option is to use someplace like TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing Video Hosting to upload your pics, then you just need to copy the url code they give you here and it will show up.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the help with the pics...figured out how to post and link via flickr.

Just got the plaster and waterline tile demo'ed today.

Plaster bubbles by MrBruin2k, on Flickr
    Plaster demo pool by MrBruin2k, on Flickr
    Plaster demo spa by MrBruin2k, on Flickr
    40x14 15k gals. gunite pool with spill over spa, Jandy iaqualink 2.0 with aquapure 1400 SWG, Pentair intelliflo VSP, Jandy 60 sq ft DE filter, Jandy Heater, Jandy stealth booster pump for spa, hayward pump for 2 sheer descents, Stonescapes Midnight Blue mini pebble, Dark Gray Bellecrete Modern Edge Coping, Silver Travertine Stone Veneer, Mastertile 1x1 tile, Pentair 5g Color LED lights (2 pool 1 spa)

6. Back To Top    #6

Your pool is going to be so amazing after the makeover. And I LOVE the fireplace!
    How long did the demo take?
    Spring 2017 Build 14x30 FF 12,000 gallon IG plaster w/ blue quartz. 3 LED color lights. Tanning ledge. Raised spa w/ 3 spillways. 1 sheer descent from raised side wall. Jandy Pro Series Aqua Pure SWG (40,000 gallons), Jandy Pro Series Variable Speed Pump, Jandy Pro Series Large Tank Cartridge Filters CL460, Jandy Pro Series JXi Pool and Spa Natural Gas Heater (400,000 BTU). Maytronics A20 robot. TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

That was a good looking pool to begin with. I can't wait to see your transformation!
    -Brian-

Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks guys. It was pretty crazy for the demo as they brought a big diesel motor into the driveway and set up a line to the backyard to power their hand tools with a huge manifold to distribute the power. They ended up having 8 guys and had the plaster and tile all done in about 3 hours. Totally blew my mind on how quick it went! Tomorrow my contractor is starting his demo of all the stone which I assume will take a few days. Got an update on the bellecrete order which is being poured all together since it is such a big order as to not have varying shades from different pours. Order was put in last Friday and will be ready some time next week.
    40x14 15k gals. gunite pool with spill over spa, Jandy iaqualink 2.0 with aquapure 1400 SWG, Pentair intelliflo VSP, Jandy 60 sq ft DE filter, Jandy Heater, Jandy stealth booster pump for spa, hayward pump for 2 sheer descents, Stonescapes Midnight Blue mini pebble, Dark Gray Bellecrete Modern Edge Coping, Silver Travertine Stone Veneer, Mastertile 1x1 tile, Pentair 5g Color LED lights (2 pool 1 spa)

9. Back To Top    #9

Going to add some updates as I was away for 2 weeks while demo and install started....

Here is stone coping demo coming along for pool, planter wall, and some patio fireplace and baluster posts.

image by MrBruin2k, on Flickr

10. Back To Top    #10

Prep work finished. They had to chip away quite a bit as the bellecrete is thicker than the stone that was there before. Also dropped level a couple inches down to level of the spillway and had to pour concrete to eliminate grab rail around jacuzzi edge and make it flush for tile. They also had to cut my entire concrete edge as the deck was poured against the stone coping and was uneven and jagged all the way around. They cut it as a straight edge around entire pool which looks much cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

Bellecrete being laid for coping to set levels for everything. They are almost finished with it and tile and stone starting tomorrow.

12. Back To Top    #12

Wow! Can't wait to see this when it is all done as it was nice before so def going to be amazing when you are done. Love the coping. Do you have pics of the tile?
    37.5x17' 19.5k gal Shotcrete 3.5-7' w/sunshelf, 18" 7' spa with stone, Stonescapes Tropics Blue w/iridescent mini glass beads and abalone, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Swimclear cartridge 200 sq ft, 40k SWG, Pro Logic automation, 3 Colorlogic lights (2 in pool, 1 in spa), 2 LED bubblers, 4' LED sheer decent on raised wall, Hayward 400k BTU heater, 1500 sq ft Silver Travertine French pattern deck, Lightstream tile, 34x56 Mansard screen cage

13. Back To Top    #13

Waterline tile installed today as well as stacked stone on raised bond beam. They also tore out the small grass area that will be replaced with artificial turf. The tile is ceramic 1x1 mastertile em121. My pb said glass tile would be $75 sq/ft for install as his team doesn't do it and they have to outsource it, so that would destroy my already destroyed budget even further. Really happy with the look of this tile as it is similar to glass mosaic look but only cost me $8 sq/ft plus normal install.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I absolutely love everything you're doing! At first I wondered why the refurb - it looked good to me (on my cell), although personally, I'm not a fan of flagstone. After reading your first post, it makes sense. This is going to look fabulous! The Bellecrete coping is gorgeous, and the silver travertine ledger stone is perfect with the Bellecrete. I love the trim under the ledger stone - such a simple design touch but changes the look from great to oooooooooooo ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Your waterline tile is perfect with everything else. I think you'll be glad having this tile. The maintenance (regular quick brushing) will be easier than glass - you have to be more careful with the glass - chemicals used, scratching it, etc (I know from experience).

I really admire your ability to create such a new and stunning vision for your pool and the pool area. I think it's easier to start from scratch. Once I have everything in place, it's hard for me get that picture out of my head and visualize it differently. Your renovation is going to give it a completely new look - stunning!!!

Thanks for sharing!!! And keep those awesome photos coming!!!!
    Suz~Cypress/Houston area~ My 2015 Pool Build. 24K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy; color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. TF-100, SpeedStir

15. Back To Top    #15

Hi, It looks great. I'm still deciding on glass tile. Yes, more for the product and the install. Is that Fujiwa tile that you used? If so, what's the name? Also, I love your ledger stone, please share the name and manufacturer.
    Thanks!
    Underground pool and spa, 3' to 6', Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Hayward 525 sq ft cartridge filter, Hayward H Series 500,000 btu heater, Stone on Spa and planter, Tile on raised pool wall and waterline.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Elizsanchez View Post
    Hi, It looks great. I'm still deciding on glass tile. Yes, more for the product and the install. Is that Fujiwa tile that you used? If so, what's the name? Also, I love your ledger stone, please share the name and manufacturer.
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the kind words. So the tile is from Mastertile Empire Mix MAS EM 121. It was very affordable yet very nice looking..it was around $9/sq ft and they are located in Anaheim. They actually have a very impressive line up of tile in their showroom and I just found them by searching for the look I was trying to achieve online. My PB hadn't ever heard of them but when I compared their sample to a few others that were similar, the quality and finish was much better on it. The ledger stone is by MSI Stone and is called Silver Travertine. I actually found it initially at Home Depot and then found the manufacturer directly in Sun Valley near Burbank. I went into the showroom and then had my PB contact them for wholesale pricing. That too was extremely affordable and not much more than all the manufactured Eldorado type concrete/stone panels. Will update later today as the tile on the jacuzzi overflow is now finished. Unfortunately we found out we were going to be short on tile yesterday evening so I had a nice 4 hr round trip this morning from Valencia down to Anaheim to pick up some more tile from Mastertile for them to be able to finish all the stepline tile accents.

17. Back To Top    #17

Thank you, we're in San Diego so shouldn't be too difficult to get to Anaheim. Love all of the pictures. Keep sharing!
    Underground pool and spa, 3' to 6', Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Hayward 525 sq ft cartridge filter, Hayward H Series 500,000 btu heater, Stone on Spa and planter, Tile on raised pool wall and waterline.

18. Back To Top    #18

Tile work done and finishing off the rest of the bellecrete for walls, steps, etc. The pool is ready for mini pebble which is set for June 1st.

19. Back To Top    #19

Little bit of a slower week progress wise, but they are getting closer. Almost all the belecrete work is done except for the center pieces filling in the planters. Majority of the stone work is done except fireplace wall and BBQ. They just started demo of the BBQ and will be doing a poured concrete top to closely match the belecrete color with an elevated bar top. Putting in my 3 new Pentair Intellibrite 5g color lights tomorrow (2 pool, 1 jacuzzi) as pebble is supposed to be Thursday or Friday of this week.

20. Back To Top    #20

Wow! What a difference. It is really coming along. It looks great!
    Build in Progress - 15k gallons IG gunite, 12x38 rectangle 4-6-4, Raised Spa - 6x6 w/neg. edge & gas fire feature, All Pentair - IntelliFlo VS Pump, 420 Clean & Clear Filter, 400K BTU MasterTemp, IntelliChlor IC40 w/EasyTouch8 Bundle, ScreenLogic2, IntelliChem, 3 GloBrite LED Color Lights in Pool - 1 in Spa, 1 ColorVision LED Bubbler on Ledge, Bellecrete Grey Mod-Edge Pre-cast Coping, QuartzScape Mariner Blue, Sunstone-Lagoon 1x1 Mosaic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast