Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Pool, low TA & PH, Bacardi turned water blue and cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Pool, low TA & PH, Bacardi turned water blue and cloudy

Why did the pool turn blue and cloudy after I added PH up. (I did not add bicarbonate or Bacardi, sorry). I think the blue is my surface. What if anything should I do next?

Here are the readings I have using a Taylor Test kit.

Out of salt strips so no reading

Chlorine 3
    CYA 70
    TA 20
    PH 7
    temp 73
    10k Pebble Tec, Pentair Superflow 1.5 hp, Pentair Cartridge filter CC150. Eastern exposure (pool gets no sun after 2pm). Pools gets used 10 days a year.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt Pool, low TA & PH, Bacardi turned water blue and cloudy

Which Taylor test kit did you use?? How do you sanitize your pool???

Why is your FC, pH and TA so low???

We need to know:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

You may be showing an algae bloom considering that your CYA is 70 but your FC is only 3. Did you perform a CC test?

Check this out: FC/CYA Chart

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

It's a salt pool, pentagram cell. Taylor k2005.

FC 3
    CC - didn't test for it. Will tomorrow.
    PH 7
    TA 20
    CH - didn't test for it. Will tomorrow.
    CYA 70

The PH was really high last week so I added some acid. The CYA was really low last week so I added some conditioner.
    10k Pebble Tec, Pentair Superflow 1.5 hp, Pentair Cartridge filter CC150. Eastern exposure (pool gets no sun after 2pm). Pools gets used 10 days a year.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ah, you need to update the test kit with the DPD-FAS chlorine test to have the equivalent test kit we recommend. You can order that easily from
    tftestkits.net for about $30. Otherwise how can you test properly the higher FC and CC?

Your pool is cloudy.... sounds like algae. Time to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test: Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
    Make sure you turn the SWG off for this. If it shows a loss >1 you need to SLAM! SLAM

Did you use PoolMath to guide you in how much MA and CYA to add? You need to get that TA up also please. Your pool being plaster needs to be protected from such big swings in pH and TA.

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, it was my intention to bring up the PH & TA, but when I added the PH up product the pool was instantly cloudy and I freaked out.

6. Back To Top    #6

Can you tell me the name of the product (ingredent if listed) you added?

Yip

7. Back To Top    #7

Clorox Pool & Spa
    Sodium Carbonate 100%

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, I don't *think* that made it cloudy but I could be wrong. By the way, all that is is soda ash. A cheaper source for this is Borax Washing Soda that you sometimes see in the laundry aisle next to the Borax boxes (Soda ash is not to be confused with Borax laundry booster!) Brush the pool well to keep everything in circulation.

Leave your filter on 24/7 and finish getting your TA up. Then see if the cloudy water clears or continues. If it continues its time for a SLAM. Add some extra liquid chlorine in the meantime though.

9. Back To Top    #9

Maybe I ​should have added Bacardi, lol. Thanks

btw, my husband just reminded me to say that they same thing (instantly cloudy pool) happened a couple of months ago when he added bicarbonate which is why he bought the PH up product to use instead.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Lilyt View Post
    Maybe I ​should have added Bacardi, lol. Thanks
    LOL yeah... it couldn't have hurt and you'd have felt better for it!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Sodium carbonate will usually cloud the pool for at least a while. Sodium bicarbonate should not cause cloudiness.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, the Soda could make it cloudy, so we cant just say it didn't for sure. Especially since we dont know what the CH level is.

Sudden upward pH changes are often synonymous with clouding water because things can precipitate out with the sudden increase.

Its ok, it will clear, but lets slow down for a minute. We've just made two major up/down changes to some major parameters and we need to get on the right track, and take some breaths.

You do need the TA to come up, and it will quickly with that pH if its close to 7.0. Add baking soda until we see 60 or so TA. Let the pool filter, run a fresh set tomorrow, and it may look better. Don't make any other big changes yet.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem