Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't Find Waste or Drain to Lower Water Level

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't Find Waste or Drain to Lower Water Level

I have the opportunity to pump a couple thousand gallons of rainwater out of our drinking water storage tank. We need to perform some maintenance requiring a lower water level. This works out well as Pool Math tells me draining 1/3+ will help reduce CYA and CH levels (currently 60 & 450 respectively). I don't think we'll drain that much but since the tank needs to be lowered this is a good chance to make a dent.

So, the pump is a Jandy Pro Series E Pump with a CV series Jandy filter (CV580) which I understand is a cartridge filter. There's no sign of any sort of waste setting or drain. There are no pipes leading into the woods (we're in the middle of nowhere), no backflow valves.

There is a drain at the bottom of the filter, marked DRAIN. This mostly likely is to drain the pump, not the pool. Their instructions talk about draining the filter and don't mention anything about whether it's ok or not to drain more than the pump.

A submersible pump would do the job but if the pool pump can too I'd rather go that route.

Thoughts?
    25k IG / Plaster / Built Jul'16 / Spa with Spillway into Pool / Originally filled with trucked in city water, maintaining level with rain water / Polaris 280 Sweep / Jandy Pro Series EPump a& CV 580 Cartridge Filter / Aquacal Heat Pump / AquaLink Control Panel w/PDA / TF-100 Test Kit / 2 Yellow Labs swimmin' all the time

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't Find Waste or Drain to Lower Water Level

Yeah, unfortunately our cartridge filters don't have a great way to pump out water like those with a multiport valve. Some filters have a small water spigot valve at the bottom to release sediment and such, but it's small and slow-going. Yours appears to have that drainage port, but I'm not sure what size it is, or if you can even connect a hose to it. A sump pump of some sort might be the way to go if you're in a hurry. If you're not rushed and can get a siphon going based on your water line and yard height, perhaps start a couple hoses that way ... for free.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I disconnect the hose from my pressure side cleaner and use that to move water if I need to. Every now and then I use it to blast out debris/bugs from my overflow.
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have a low spot to drain water to, just use a hose and make a simple siphon out of it. Fill the hose with water and lay the distal end in the low spot of the yard and the proximal end in the pool. It will start siphoning and its next to free! Just keep an eye on it so you don't go too low.

Make sure you close your skimmer off to avoid all the air getting in the lines.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

5. Back To Top    #5

Syphoning it will be.

We have a grove of oak trees that wouldn't mind a drink. Anyone think the bleach level would be harmful?

Not sure how to close the skimmer. Is this done with the valves near the pump?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    25k IG / Plaster / Built Jul'16 / Spa with Spillway into Pool / Originally filled with trucked in city water, maintaining level with rain water / Polaris 280 Sweep / Jandy Pro Series EPump a& CV 580 Cartridge Filter / Aquacal Heat Pump / AquaLink Control Panel w/PDA / TF-100 Test Kit / 2 Yellow Labs swimmin' all the time

6. Back To Top    #6

The roots the Oaks should be okay. Grass can be a little funny sometimes, but trees should be okay. There should be a valve just before the pump that is used to adjust or close-off water flow from the skimmer. If it's not marked, you may need to experiment with the valve positions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!