Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: testing for leak in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

testing for leak in pool

I believe I have a slow leak in my pool because I have been losing at least 1/4" of water a day and it has not been very hot. I did a bucket test and plan to do one again soon.

right now I am letting the water level drop below the skimmers and just using the pool main drains ( I have tow ) to filter the water so I can see if it continues to drop at the same rate so I can test if it is the skimmers or not.

Is this a bad idea? Any problems with this?
    Tulsa, OK,Gunite inground pool - lagoon finish - 20,000 gallons
    Hot tub in one corner that is raised about 3 feet and has two spillovers into the pool
    Small side pool with two pipes that jet up water and has two spillovers into the pool
    Has a sundeck at the front

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: testing for leak in pool

Not a bad idea at all. As long as you still have the ability to move water through the pump. That way you can rule-out the skimmer line. Here are some more ideas: Pool School - Leak Detection
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

tag,

What was the result of your bucket test, and how long did you run it? 1/4" a day is not all that excessive.

But, your plan sounds ok to me... If it stops right below the skimmers or right below the light, you'll know for sure.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

tagteam, ask Jim to show you HIS bucket tester! Trust me, you gotta see it.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the bucket test the pool did go farther down from my line than the bucket did. However, I did not check the inches. I plan to do it again tomorrow or the next day and this time I will measure the amount of water in the bucket in inches.
    Here is what I have been recording so far.

4/10/17 evening 3 1/4 pump
    4/11/17 morning 3"
    4/11/17 6:00 PM 2 3/4 pump running 8 hours
    4/12/17 morning 2 1/4 Pump not running
    4/12/17 evening 2" pump ran all day
    4/13/17 8:00 AM 1 1/2 just over 1 1/2, Pump not running
    4/13/17 evening 1 1/4 + pump ran during day
    4/14/17 8:00 AM 1 1/4 - pump did not run at night
    4/14/17 10:00 PM 1" Pump running all day and a bit of swimming
    4/15/17 11:00 PM 1/4" Pump ran all day - water below north end skimmer level, a little still goes in south skimmer.
    4/16/17 1/2" Rained most of the day.
    4/17/18 1/2" Rained and was cloudy
    4/18/17 1/4" pump running all day
    Tulsa, OK,Gunite inground pool - lagoon finish - 20,000 gallons
    Hot tub in one corner that is raised about 3 feet and has two spillovers into the pool
    Small side pool with two pipes that jet up water and has two spillovers into the pool
    Has a sundeck at the front