new pool up today...what do I do??

Jun 9, 2009
I have been reading pool school but I wanted an opinion. I have a new 24'AG filling with water now. My electrician cannot get here for 6 days to wire up the twist lock for my pump. Should I try to come up with a makeshift adaptor and use a heavy duty 12 gauge extension cord intil then? Or do you think I could let it sit that long with no filter and just add some bleach? Thanks for any help.

24' round.52". 13,500 gallons? Sand filter

Congratulations!
We had this same exact problem last year! Because the plug on the filter has a twist lock you need to get an extension that connects to that. I found on online for about $12 and then used an extension cord to connect to that. just be sure to unplug if anyone goes swimming!

Thanks thats what I figured. My husband said "no, it will be fine" I didn't think so. Another question I have is the pool package included an inline chlorinator and the "jumbo slo pokes". Should I use this for startup or just skip it and go straight to adding bleach? I also need to raise my PH first. Should I use borax or PH UP? I have both. Which is better?

All I have now is....

FC 0
Ph 6.1
CYA 0

What's your TA?

I'm not familiar with jumbo slo pokes. Does it list the active ingredient? Are those trichlor tabs?

You're best bet is get some seperate Cyanuric Acid from the pool store or walmart, etc., stores that have pool sections, and then use bleach. The CYA will protect the FC from sunlight destruction - the tablets don't build up that level fast enough to offer any protection. Plus they lower PH.

Yes the slo pokes are trichlor tabs. I definately don't want anything that will lower my PH so I will stay away from those.

The pool calculator isn't working on my blackberry, could someone tell me how much 6% bleach to add to 13,500 gallons for startup?

Thank you so much!
I appreciate any help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.