Algae keeps taking over my pool (I think)

Apr 18, 2017
Ocklawaha, FL
I bought this pool last summer thinking it would be great for the family. This thing has bee a money pit. I upgraded the filter form the cartridge filter a week ago. I also bought a skimmer basket for it. I also broke down and bought a Taylor K2006 tester. My measurements are at 25FC, 1CC, 7.4PH,160ALK, 300CAL, and 60CYA. My water is cloudy. I have hit this pool very hard with chlorine. I allowed the pool to sit for like 6mths with no chemicals (broke ankle). I have spent so much money and just wanting to know if there is any suggestions or do I need to buy a phosphate tester? Last year before we quit using it we would get algae blooms very easy.

Welcome to TFP... our methods are the anti-money pit of pool care. IF you follow our methods that is. You can't mix our advice with pool store advice as they often contradict each other.

Ok, you have the test kit, you need to use it more consistently. Please list your test results this way as they're easier for us to read quickly:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Did you mean your FC is really TWENTY FIVE??? or perhaps TWO POINT FIVE (25 or 2.5)???

Please tell me everything you have added to this pool recently?? How do you sanitize?

Phosphates (and the testers) are unnecessary worries that Leslies's Pool Stores instills in customers so that they can sell products. If your pool is properly sanitized so that it doesn't have algae in it, it won't matter if you have phosphates in the water because there is no algae in the water to eat it. Phosphates are algae food.

Yippee :flower:

Hi there, and Welcome!

Im glad you got a good kit. That is one of the first steps. Knowledge makes it work for you, and it's the other key ingredient. You can find it all in pool school, but start with the ABCs first. You will need to SLAM the pool to fix this. Its a controlled and maintained high Chlorine dosing regiment emplyed until the pool is crystal clear. You can do it, and we can help you, and teach you how to never need it again. Once we help get you there, it will be no money pit, but something you and your family will love. Please click my signature links to find these items, and start reading. Getting your knowledge base built up is the next important step.

Welcome to TFP... our methods are the anti-money pit of pool care. IF you follow our methods that is. You can't mix our advice with pool store advice as they often contradict each other.

Ok, you have the test kit, you need to use it more consistently. Please list your test results this way as they're easier for us to read quickly:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Did you mean your FC is really TWENTY FIVE??? or perhaps TWO POINT FIVE (25 or 2.5)???

Please tell me everything you have added to this pool recently?? How do you sanitize?

Phosphates (and the testers) are unnecessary worries that Leslies's Pool Stores instills in customers so that they can sell products. If your pool is properly sanitized so that it doesn't have algae in it, it won't matter if you have phosphates in the water because there is no algae in the water to eat it. Phosphates are algae food.

Yippee :flower:

I am going out now to test again. I am just learning this kit and may have got the value wrong. I will let you know in a few what the values are for sure. Thank you for your help. I learned last year very quickly that the pool stores are fool of bologna and take your money. I use liquid chlorine from our local hardware store. I will have to look at the label to see what kind it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, I am going to read the material now and test the pool again. I will reply with the results as soon as I get it done.

Here are the results from the test this evening. They are all out of whack. My mom added 2 1/2 gallons of liquid chlorine this evening and:confused: added a bag of shock. There was algae blooming again. From what I have been reading I need to keep my chlorine at 24 with my CYA at 60. I am going to measure in the morning ant see what the chlorine level is then. The only thing I have added to this pool was stabilizer and liquid chlorine and some shock bags when I was out of the liquid.

FC 40
CC 2.5
PH 8.0
TA 150
CH 150
CYA 60

Ok.... well, FC 40... let's not do that... if you do have an algae problem then it was never properly taken care of. Let the FC come down to shock level which I think is 24? No more powder shock!!

The PH will not test properly until FC is below 10 so leave it alone. After SLAM (read up!!) then can work on TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok.... well, FC 40... let's not do that... if you do have an algae problem then it was never properly taken care of. Let the FC come down to shock level which I think is 24? No more powder shock!!

The PH will not test properly until FC is below 10 so leave it alone. After SLAM (read up!!) then can work on TA.

I let the pool go for 6 months (broke ankle). So it has been a battle. However last year I had algae blooms frequently. I have been reading and I think my whole problem is not having the proper test kit and allowing the pool to run out of chlorine.

Yes that would be and I understand with letting go... Mine is open during winter but I leave it alone and just go to battle in Feb.

The trick now is having a good kit and knowledge of what exactly to do to beat it and keep it away :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.