Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae keeps taking over my pool (I think)

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae keeps taking over my pool (I think)

I bought this pool last summer thinking it would be great for the family. This thing has bee a money pit. I upgraded the filter form the cartridge filter a week ago. I also bought a skimmer basket for it. I also broke down and bought a Taylor K2006 tester. My measurements are at 25FC, 1CC, 7.4PH,160ALK, 300CAL, and 60CYA. My water is cloudy. I have hit this pool very hard with chlorine. I allowed the pool to sit for like 6mths with no chemicals (broke ankle). I have spent so much money and just wanting to know if there is any suggestions or do I need to buy a phosphate tester? Last year before we quit using it we would get algae blooms very easy.
    Coleman 22' x 52" Power Steel Frame Above-Ground Swimming 10.668 gallons
    Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 3000 GPH Pump Flow Rate
    (zeolite)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae keeps taking over my pool (I think)

Welcome to TFP... our methods are the anti-money pit of pool care. IF you follow our methods that is. You can't mix our advice with pool store advice as they often contradict each other.

Ok, you have the test kit, you need to use it more consistently. Please list your test results this way as they're easier for us to read quickly:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

Did you mean your FC is really TWENTY FIVE??? or perhaps TWO POINT FIVE (25 or 2.5)???

Please tell me everything you have added to this pool recently?? How do you sanitize?

Phosphates (and the testers) are unnecessary worries that Leslies's Pool Stores instills in customers so that they can sell products. If your pool is properly sanitized so that it doesn't have algae in it, it won't matter if you have phosphates in the water because there is no algae in the water to eat it. Phosphates are algae food.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi there, and Welcome!

Im glad you got a good kit. That is one of the first steps. Knowledge makes it work for you, and it's the other key ingredient. You can find it all in pool school, but start with the ABCs first. You will need to SLAM the pool to fix this. Its a controlled and maintained high Chlorine dosing regiment emplyed until the pool is crystal clear. You can do it, and we can help you, and teach you how to never need it again. Once we help get you there, it will be no money pit, but something you and your family will love. Please click my signature links to find these items, and start reading. Getting your knowledge base built up is the next important step.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Welcome to TFP... our methods are the anti-money pit of pool care. IF you follow our methods that is. You can't mix our advice with pool store advice as they often contradict each other.

Ok, you have the test kit, you need to use it more consistently. Please list your test results this way as they're easier for us to read quickly:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

Did you mean your FC is really TWENTY FIVE??? or perhaps TWO POINT FIVE (25 or 2.5)???

Please tell me everything you have added to this pool recently?? How do you sanitize?

Phosphates (and the testers) are unnecessary worries that Leslies's Pool Stores instills in customers so that they can sell products. If your pool is properly sanitized so that it doesn't have algae in it, it won't matter if you have phosphates in the water because there is no algae in the water to eat it. Phosphates are algae food.

Yippee
    I am going out now to test again. I am just learning this kit and may have got the value wrong. I will let you know in a few what the values are for sure. Thank you for your help. I learned last year very quickly that the pool stores are fool of bologna and take your money. I use liquid chlorine from our local hardware store. I will have to look at the label to see what kind it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, I am going to read the material now and test the pool again. I will reply with the results as soon as I get it done.
    Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 3000 GPH Pump Flow Rate
    (zeolite)

5. Back To Top    #5

Here are the results from the test this evening. They are all out of whack. My mom added 2 1/2 gallons of liquid chlorine this evening and added a bag of shock. There was algae blooming again. From what I have been reading I need to keep my chlorine at 24 with my CYA at 60. I am going to measure in the morning ant see what the chlorine level is then. The only thing I have added to this pool was stabilizer and liquid chlorine and some shock bags when I was out of the liquid.

FC 40
    CC 2.5
    PH 8.0
    TA 150
    CH 150
    CYA 60
    (zeolite)

6. Back To Top    #6

Algae keeps taking over my pool (I think)

Ok.... well, FC 40... let's not do that... if you do have an algae problem then it was never properly taken care of. Let the FC come down to shock level which I think is 24? No more powder shock!!

The PH will not test properly until FC is below 10 so leave it alone. After SLAM (read up!!) then can work on TA.

Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method
    POOL SCHOOL, ABC'S of WATER CHEMISTRY, POOL MATH, SUPPORT TFP!!, TEST KIT!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by clambert1273 View Post
    Ok.... well, FC 40... let's not do that... if you do have an algae problem then it was never properly taken care of. Let the FC come down to shock level which I think is 24? No more powder shock!!

The PH will not test properly until FC is below 10 so leave it alone. After SLAM (read up!!) then can work on TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I let the pool go for 6 months (broke ankle). So it has been a battle. However last year I had algae blooms frequently. I have been reading and I think my whole problem is not having the proper test kit and allowing the pool to run out of chlorine.
    (zeolite)

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes that would be and I understand with letting go... Mine is open during winter but I leave it alone and just go to battle in Feb.

The trick now is having a good kit and knowledge of what exactly to do to beat it and keep it away

Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method
    POOL SCHOOL, ABC'S of WATER CHEMISTRY, POOL MATH, SUPPORT TFP!!, TEST KIT!

9. Back To Top    #9

I bought a Taylor K2006 kit. Was confusing at first to use but I am getting the hang of it now.
    (zeolite)