Filling IntellipH canister safely question

LSE08

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2012
SW Florida
My apologies if this is in the wrong place, mods feel free to move it if not appropriate here.

In wanting to do some updating on my equipment this season I have decided to install a Pentair IC40 SWG and an IntellipH acid dispenser. Although there are numerous equipment manufacturers to chose from I decided to stay with Pentair for continuity sake.

The IntellipH system arrived in today’s mail and in going through the documentation I have a question regarding filling the canister. In the manual they state on at least two occasions; “Pentair always recommends 1:1 dilution when using full strength muriatic acid. When mixing, remember to always add acid to water.” This second sentence should be very familiar to everyone as it is preached over and over again, but therein lies part of the problem as I am seeing it, but there is a high probability that I am missing some simple stupid explanation. So, with that in mind.........

Let’s say I am filling up the canister for the first time and want to end up with that 50/50 solution of MA/H2O that Pentair recommends. Easy, the canister is empty so I just pour in one gallon of H2O followed by one gallon of MA from a sealed container and using the handy built in seal piercer in the IntellipH canister. Acid goes into water and I have my 50/50 dilution mix, all is good as I see it so far. Now, let’s say I am down to a gallon or whatever of mix in the canister and I want to top it up a bit. I can’t, or shouldn’t anyway, just first add one gallon of H2O to the existing acid mixture, (see explanation above), nor do I want to add a new gallon of MA from a sealed container first and then followed by a gallon of H2O as this would be worse than the first scenario. Other than filling up a pail with 1 gallon H2O, adding 1 gallon MA, mixing it all up and then pouring this whole mess into the IntellipH canister, and with enough fumes that make my head hurt just writing about it, how the heck is one supposed to top up the IntellipH canister safely? Unfortunately Pentair does not touch upon this in their manual.

I’d really rather not use the diluted MA available in stores due to the significant lack of price break in doing so. I really, really don’t want to have to premix up a pail and then pour that in the canister, and I would very much like to be able to use the built in seal piercer both for safety and convenience sake.

Sorry for the drawn out story here, but what am I missing on how to safely and conveniently fill the canister? How are others safely doing it? Many thanks for any thoughts you might have!

Or you could just buy "low fume" "eco friendly" MA which is 15% and sold at most hardware stores. Dilution already accomplished.

Also, a 50/50 mixture of acid and water can have water added to it as the heat of mixing generated from a weak mixture like that would be minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always add acid to water never the other way around is a rule because the acid can have a reaction producing heat adding it to water allows the water to absorb the heat. It is one of those best practices safety things they don't bother making a distinction for if your acid concentration is below "X" percentage it is ok either way. It is just easier to follow the rule and not have to think about it. That being said I was curious and did quite a bit of searching the topic and found a series of You Tube videos where a guy did "the wrong thing" with acids way stronger than we deal with almost no noticeable reaction. If I recall correctly he got a sample to go up a few degrees one time.

I use a Stenner and ran with undiluted acid for almost a year while the pool was new. Now that my demand is lower I dilute 1:1 and I always add the acid first because once empty the jug becomes my measuring vessel for the water. If I were you I would add the acid first and top up with water, if you end up with a slightly higher acid concentration because you ran out of room for the full gallon of water it is not going to be the end of the world. worst case you will want to turn down the dosage a bit to compensate for the higher concentration.

Thank you both for your thoughts, this wasn't the first time I have probably overthought things a bit but I'd rather be safe than not.

The 'low fume' acid is what I alluded to in my initial post as being not very cost friendly, and would like to avoid if possible. As my concerns about adding water to the acid in the concentrations we are working with here is not an issue then all is good. I am admittedly very happy not to have to worry about prefixing anything in a pail and pouring from there. Great idea atttech-2 about your suggested method to dilute, that will be the plan.

Many, many thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.