Caulking question

docxo

Jun 10, 2011
Carbondale, Illinois
I need to re-caulk the stainless steel pool walls on our in ground pool. It is peeling away and I am hoping it's the only source of our leak. We have been advised to use 100% silicone by a pool guy who admittedly only repairs vinyl lining type pools. So I wanted to double check with my favorite experts here at TFP. Would a 100% silicone stainless steel kitchen caulk do the job? I'm in a rural area and have yet to find a reliable repair person.

Yes, the joints between the stainless steel panels. The caulk was dried out and peeling away, so we hope this is the main source of our water leak. The light had a leak that was repaired last year and the booster pump line had a leak that was also repaired when we poured the new concrete during the pool house build. The pool was built around 1979. Pretty neat! We have lived here 7 years.

We applied 100% silicone yesterday and will start to fill up the pool again today. My other question is can I go ahead and start adding bleach to the water and running my pump from the main drain only or is that bad for the pump? I know I can't truly balance my water until it's full, but I thought I'd try and clear up some of the sludge while it's filling.

IMG_1632.jpg

I was of the same opinion as Danny on that.

I would try the Kitchen Caulking and see how it works. I would also look at the concrete wall joint those are dissimilar materials and may move at different rates. That's why its best to keep the pool full so the temperature of those two surfaces stays roughly equal.

Yes add chlorine to the pool and get a head start on your swamp.

I don't know for sure - but in another thread the OP was instructed to use this product on his pool decking. So I looked it up and it sounds like it is pretty tough stuff. Vulkem 45SSL

It's polyurethane. Moisture Cured and says on the data sheet - for "swimming pool decks" - however that may be more appropriate for concrete surfaces. I would call Tremco. They also have Silicon. I would trust Tremco's advice over the pool guy's.

http://www.tremcosealants.com/fileshare/literature/Product_Selector_Guide_Sealants_0117.pdf

I was of the same opinion as Danny on that.

I would try the Kitchen Caulking and see how it works. I would also look at the concrete wall joint those are dissimilar materials and may move at different rates. That's why its best to keep the pool full so the temperature of those two surfaces stays roughly equal.

Yes add chlorine to the pool and get a head start on your swamp.

Thank you. It does appear there is some leaking at the concrete/steel junctions along the bottom (ground water coming in at a trickle. Yikes).. We had the pool closed Sept 20 (I remember because it was the day I had a home birth!!) and water loss was down to about the top of the deep end light when we opened the cover a couple days ago.We drained it only to re-caulk, but my husband drained a little more than what I think he should have. Working on filling it up now. Appreciate all the responses!

Yeah that is a tough joint. I'm not sure there is a way to get it truly waterproof. A metal curtain wall to masonry caulk may be good. But for that joint I would be tempted to call Tremco or another sealants vendor describe your application and ask what they have. And post on here what you find out.

Pictures when you get all sparkly would be great. Not you the pool.

Wait you had a home birth?:kim::party::party:

We need pictures!!!! sparkly pools and sparkly babys My kids are all to old and have ceased being cute.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good news! We used 100% silicone kitchen and tile on the wall joints and we have no water loss!!! All my equipment is functioning, my new Dolphin M400 is awesome, and I'm just waiting on my slow sand filter to do its thing and get the water crystal clear! Here's to a summer of fully functional equipment! Last year literally everything had to be repaired or replaced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.