Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with Abalone and Luminous Enhancements Pebble Tec / Sheen

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with Abalone and Luminous Enhancements Pebble Tec / Sheen

We have to pick our pebble tec / sheen finish in the next couple of weeks and we were quoted $350 overall for the abalone enhancement. We were told it is not a cost per bag, rather $350 refers to a ratio.... Does it sound right?

Also, we would love to add the luminous blue blend. Does anyone know what the cost would be? Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with Abalone and Luminous Enhancements Pebble Tec / Sheen

I would want to know how many bags they THINK they would use.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

We added Shimmering Seas to our French Gray PebbleSheen, and it was just a flat cost. We love the color of the water with the Pebble Sheen and really love the extra sparkle of the shells/abalone give. Totally worth it! We lost count of how many bags they added. It's very hard to photography though; it's what looks like "white specks" in these photos.
    IMG_5463.jpg
    IG ~12000 gallon 1988 freeform pool with IG spa, Hayward equip, Ecostar pump. Remodel done: NPT Arctic 1x2 tile in Lagoon w/ gray thinset & Light Pewter grout, French Gray PebbleSheen w/ grey fittings, Leuders buff eased edge limestone coping w/ Light Buff mortar, buff mastic

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry, I can't figure out how to do multiple photos in one post: IMG_5464.jpg
    IMG_5465.jpg
    IMG_5466.jpg

5. Back To Top    #5

Just be sure to discuss with the plaster applicator WHERE they are sourcing the abalone shells from. We have had reports over the years of plaster (lighter blues and grey) that develop brown ring stains around the abalone due to leaching of the organics in the shell. Remember that abalone is a natural product that is derived from the shells of sea mollusks. They can and will contain organic compounds. If they are not processed and washed properly, problems can arise years later when you no longer have the PB on the hook with your money. These stains appear to be permanent and, in most cases, the plaster has had to be redone.

If the applicator can't GUARANTEE that the abalone is a pool grade material, then I would not use it.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Ours came from PebbleTec; isn't that OK?
    IG ~12000 gallon 1988 freeform pool with IG spa, Hayward equip, Ecostar pump. Remodel done: NPT Arctic 1x2 tile in Lagoon w/ gray thinset & Light Pewter grout, French Gray PebbleSheen w/ grey fittings, Leuders buff eased edge limestone coping w/ Light Buff mortar, buff mastic

7. Back To Top    #7

See these posts -

Abalone Shell Chips Causing Brown Stains in Diamond Brite Plaster-

This one has images -

I have a plaster problem

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kpag View Post
    Ours came from PebbleTec; isn't that OK?

One would assume that a company like PebbleTec would rigorously screen their additives to protect their reputation so I would not be as worried about it. Not all plaster applicators follow "the rules" when it comes to adding enhancements and will often try to find cheaper substitutes to make a better profit. If the abalone additive has a traceable pedigree from a reputable source, then I'd say you're covered. If not, or if the plaster applicator can't provide documentation to prove it, then I would be very leary....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

It was in PebbleTec bags that said Shimmering Seas. But I guess it could be fake junk from China, who knows.

9. Back To Top    #9

We are going with pebble sheen with added abalone, so hopefully we won't have any issues. Beautiful pics kpag. Thank you. Leaning toward pebble sheen with added blue blend and abalone, hoping to get that vibrant light blue color. Although, pebble sheen aqua blue looks pretty vibrant as well. Not sure