Outdoor TV Wiring Options

dw886

Gold Supporter
Sep 19, 2016
ND
I'm curious as to what people have done to conceal wiring with outdoor TV setups. Since I have seamless steel siding, and the TV will go on a wall that's over 20' tall, my options with regard to cutting into the wall or using an overhanging soffit are limited - I'm either going to have to come through the wall at the exact location where I mount my surface-mount boxes, or come up from the bottom... From what I can tell, I'm limited to low-profile flush-mount boxes for both power and my signal (I'll use CAT6 to HDMI baluns), and I'll probably have to put these either above / below the TV vs behind it.

Has anyone uncovered a good way to keep these semi-concealed, or are I just stuck looking at the exposed surface-mount jboxes for power and LV cabling, either above or below the TV mount position?

So you're struggling with how to get wires from inside truss up to behind TV. And want a flush mount (picture frame) style TV mount. Maybe instead of flush mount, find low profile with enough room for a box behind it. And use a low profile box. What's on the other side of that wall?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Exactly. I don't really want the power box showing, but I also don't want to try to recess something into the steel siding. I've put up many, many TVs, but always inside on drywall. I'm kind of thinking that I have no choice but to run conduit up the outside, so it won't be a clean install regardless, so maybe it's not the end of the world if I do it that way...

The other side of that wall is a bathroom, and where the TV is located, it's a tiled shower...there is a small chaise for plumbing there, but the floor is closed with the exception of what the plumbers cut for pipes so I still have a problem with getting vertical inside of that wall...

So you don't want to cut into siding to recess box...i assume because you can't fix that spot if you decided to remove TV? Kinda perm with steel siding.

If running conduit, maybe find a spot to left or right and run it horizontally under on the siding ridges.

For low voltage, they sell hdmi transmitters. Put one inside and put the other end on TV. Not sure if that helps in your application but I know someone that uses it and it works. He didn't want to drill through his stone wall.

So you don't want to cut into siding to recess box...i assume because you can't fix that spot if you decided to remove TV? Kinda perm with steel siding.

If running conduit, maybe find a spot to left or right and run it horizontally under on the siding ridges.

For low voltage, they sell hdmi transmitters. Put one inside and put the other end on TV. Not sure if that helps in your application but I know someone that uses it and it works. He didn't want to drill through his stone wall.

Yes, I don't have the appropriate tools/material to trim it out, and then if I ever take it down, I end up having to replace a couple of 30' runs of steel siding.

I've done lots of AV stuff - kind of a side-project hobby of mine for the last 20 years. I've haven't tried wireless HDMI recently - all of our video and audio comes from central equipment racks and HDMI over CAT6. I wonder how well it would work with steel siding? I know our baby monitors don't make it more than about 10 feet directly on the other side of the wall from the transmitter, but if your friend was using it to go through a stone wall, I would have to guess that may be similar. If necessary I could bring my transmitter signal closer with HDMI over CAT6...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i am curious what you are mounting the tv in to protect it from the elements?

that's my issue - finding something that doesn't cost 5x the cost of the tv to mount something in.
I'm actually not planning on mounting it in an enclosure - my plan is to cover it up to protect it from rain, and to move it inside for winter - knowing up front that this is the lower-cost option and replacement at some point in the future is inevitable. Weatherproof covers can be had on Amazon for under $50: https://www.amazon.com/KHOMO-GEAR-Weatherproof-Television-Controller/dp/B0195GXLBY/

Everything that I've seen that's specifically engineered for outdoor use is $1,000+. There's also SunBrite TVs which look interesting, but when I can buy a run-of-the-mill 60" TV for $400, is it really worth spending $2k - $3k on a 40-something inch TV? For me, I think that the answer is no.

I'm looking at this as being "disposable", meaning that if I can get a few years out of it, something better will be out and I can replace it then. To go along with that, I'll buy a basic (mainstream model) outdoor TV - I'm not interested for high-end features outside where it will be subject to abuse - there's different spots in my house where I'd make a different decision with regards to this, but for outside, my parameters are basically low cost because I know it won't last forever.

I'm actually not planning on mounting it in an enclosure - my plan is to cover it up to protect it from rain, and to move it inside for winter - knowing up front that this is the lower-cost option and replacement at some point in the future is inevitable. Weatherproof covers can be had on Amazon for under $50: https://www.amazon.com/KHOMO-GEAR-Weatherproof-Television-Controller/dp/B0195GXLBY/

Everything that I've seen that's specifically engineered for outdoor use is $1,000+. There's also SunBrite TVs which look interesting, but when I can buy a run-of-the-mill 60" TV for $400, is it really worth spending $2k - $3k on a 40-something inch TV? For me, I think that the answer is no.

I'm looking at this as being "disposable", meaning that if I can get a few years out of it, something better will be out and I can replace it then. To go along with that, I'll buy a basic (mainstream model) outdoor TV - I'm not interested for high-end features outside where it will be subject to abuse - there's different spots in my house where I'd make a different decision with regards to this, but for outside, my parameters are basically low cost because I know it won't last forever.

yeah, that's where I Am headed too. the one you linked to doesn't cover the bottom though, so not sure i'd want that particular one

your mounting on the house right?

do you know if there is any pole mounting options you've seen?

Yes, my plan is to mount on the house. I haven't seen any pole-mounting options outside of things that hang from the ceiling. Why are you thinking about using a pole - so the TV can swivel?

Yes, my plan is to mount on the house. I haven't seen any pole-mounting options outside of things that hang from the ceiling. Why are you thinking about using a pole - so the TV can swivel?

because I want it by my pool area which is not near the house and thus there are no walls to put it on. Only option is literally mounting it on a pole somewhere.

I could probably also use an existing pole I have for a super bright RAB LED, but that location is ideal for the light, less so for the tv....but then again, i dunno.

Regardless, ive not really seen what I am looking for either. My other desire would be to have it come out of the ground via automation, but I only saw that for some 200" tv on some website and dont feel like dropping 1/2 a mill ;)

I was going throigh the same hassles of trying to figure out what type of cat6 to hdmi or wireless hdmi transmitter I was going to get video feom my rack mount system outdoors. Then, Verizon did me a favor and sold its FIOS network to a crappy company called Frontier. Service was so bad, I switch to Directv which allowed me to get the mini Genie wireless boxes. Problem solved! Signal is good enough with Genie generated wifi network, that I get a great picture on the patio. The Genie vox itself ks small enough to velcro to tje back of the TV.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.