Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borate - Boric Acid, should I use crystals or powder?

1. Back To Top    #1

Borate - Boric Acid, should I use crystals or powder?

Adding borates using boric acid, should I use crystals or powder?
    Valley of the Sun, Arizona.....10k gunite/pebble (Re-surface March 2015) w/in floor Caretaker 99 cleaning heads -- Pentair FNS 60 DE filter -- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed for pool -- Pentair Wisperflo 1 HP for boulder waterfall...Taylor K-2006 & Taylor K-2006C kits

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Borate - Boric Acid, should I use crystals or powder?

If by crystals you mean granular, then you want that over powder. The powder will not mix easily with the water, some will blow away in the wind and some will sit on the surface, so go with granular.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I am referring to granular....thanks I will go with the granular

Does the granular dissolve quickly and should it be broadcast across pool and brushed?
    Valley of the Sun, Arizona.....10k gunite/pebble (Re-surface March 2015) w/in floor Caretaker 99 cleaning heads -- Pentair FNS 60 DE filter -- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed for pool -- Pentair Wisperflo 1 HP for boulder waterfall...Taylor K-2006 & Taylor K-2006C kits

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

It dissolves pretty quickly, you can either slowly pour it in front of a return or broadcast it, brushing is never a bad idea after you do it. While it is a fairly weak acid you don't really want to leave anything sitting on the bottom of the pool too long.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

5. Back To Top    #5

Donldson...thank you kindly, will follow your suggestions