Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA dropped to 20

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA dropped to 20

It's my least favorite test. It seems to have a mind of its own. Regardless, last week when I opened I was at CYA 30. Today I was at 20. I did it twice to double check.

Full results

pH - 8
    FC - 5
    CC - 0
    CH - 325
    TA- 70
    CYA - 20
    72 degrees with solar cover on.

Crystal TFP clear.

Last summer I was at CYA 30 pretty much the whole time but I seem to have dropped.

My question: From reading previous threads about using trichlor pucks I believe if each 3" puck adds 3 ppm of CYA in a 10,000 gallon pool then I will need about 9-10 pucks for my 27000 gallon pool to increase 10 ppm CYA (getting me to 30). I have never used a puck in my pool before so I have no idea how long it would take to get 10 pucks dissolved. Is that stupid? Should I just break out the CYA and the sock? I have a huge thing of pucks (that I bought prior to TFP) and would like to use them up.

Thoughts? Maybe one a week for a few a months on top of a sock addition?

John
    27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: CYA dropped to 20

You already bought them so might as well use them. What I would do is set aside 10 or 11 pucks load a bunch into a floater, adjust as needed to maintain an FC of around 3ppm. I have never used pucks either so I don't know how long it will take to use up all the pucks but look at it as vacation from having to manually add chlorine.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

Back in the day when I used pucks, 5 pucks in the floater would last a bit longer than a week
    40 year old pool, 35k gal w/spa, gunite replastered July 2016, Hayward Sand filter, Hayward 1.5 hp single speed pump, TF-100, Kreepy Krauly suction side cleaner Dolphin M400

4. Back To Top    #4

Thats OK John, people have a bit of a time with this test in the beginning, but just try not to second guess it. What you saw was sampling, testing, or lighting differences. Call it 20 and don't sweat it at all. It will get easier as you do it more.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm going to toss some pucks in a floating duck and see what happens....
    27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Its early yet, and that wont hurt a thing. Just watch the FC and make sure it stays above minimum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem